Bluetooth

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 16, 2022, 5:46:54 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
For a while my Bluetooth connection has been a bit patchy (I really only use it to connect to Spotify). Now it seems to have stopped working altogether. The blue light that used to flash on and off is now just a dim glow.
Assuming I needed a new dongle, I looked on the Brennan shop page and I note that the item is no longer available…. So I followed the Amazon link, but found that the suggested dongle is also no longer available. Please can you recommend one that is suitable for my almost six-year-old B2? Not sure if it makes a difference but my interface devices are either an iPad or iPhone.
Thank you 🙏

JFBUK

Jan 16, 2022, 7:02:29 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi William,

Paul from Brennan posted this in response to an earlier post about Bluetooth

"..... - the Bluetooth dongle is CSR4.0 and must be compatible with the Raspberry Pi (the computer board used inside the B2). The Pi Hut usually have compatible ones."

This one  looks suitable

Out of interest which version of the Brennan software are you using ?

The B2B version offers better Bluetooth connectivity.

John

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 16, 2022, 7:58:03 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John. I have the most up-to-date software I think…. but bear in mind my Brennan is almost six years old. I think I’m right in saying that the Librespot option may not be available because of the age of my machine.

Meanwhile, I will check out the dongle you suggest.

Many thanks

Simon

JFBUK

Jan 16, 2022, 8:12:56 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Apologies for calling you William !

Peter Lowham

Jan 16, 2022, 8:23:02 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Simon,

From what you have said so far, I'm assuming that you have the early model B2 with the SD card that protrudes out of the side of the case.

There are two versions of software that run on the B2.  The first version shows as 'B2 mmm dd yyyy' and this is probably what you are running on.

The later version shows as 'B2B mmm dd yyyy' and this will have the much improved Bluetooth capability as well as the Spotify functionality.

The age of your B2 does not matter at all; your B2 will run all of the latest features that the newer B2 does.  All you need to do is to purchase the latest SD card from the Brennan on-line store.  The card is pre-loaded with the 'B2B' version.  I think that it is £10 inc P&P.

Alternatively, you can download the latest software at no charge and re-flash the SD card yourself but I'm guessing that you might not be too keen on the technicalities of doing this!  If you do want to do it this way let us know and we can help.

Regards,
Peter.

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 16, 2022, 8:38:09 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes, mine is the one with the SD card sticking out. Goodness, I had not realised that I could get the B2B version….. buying it from the website sounds like my best option (along with the new dongle from pi-hut).

Thanks again (and John, don’t worry about calling me William…. I have been referred to by many worse names over the past 70 years)!

Peter Lowham

Jan 16, 2022, 9:22:36 AM1/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Simon,

No problem!  When you receive the new SD card and install it into your B2, you should run 'Settings' --> 'Web Upgrade' so that you have the latest B2B version.  These cards are held in stock at Brennan and it might be a couple of months behind the newest version, so the 'Web Upgrade' will sort that out.

Regards,
Peter.