Linn DSM with B2 and UPnP

Tutan Veron

Jun 10, 2021, 2:09:36 PM6/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I’m in the process of buying a Linn DSM. I currently have the bulk of my music collection on a B2.

My question is: “does the B2 operate as a UPnP server?”

My understanding is the Linn DSM would acquire the music from the B2 rather than my current setup where the B2 dictates what is played through the auxiliary input of my amplifier.

If the B2 doesn’t provide UPnP, is my only option to copy the B2 contents to a  (UPnP) NAS drive?

Mark Fishman

Jun 10, 2021, 6:03:00 PM6/10/21
to Brennan Forum
The B2 can function as a DLNA server, so it should be compatible with UPnP devices that can find and use DLNA-compliant servers. Here is an article that talks about both UPnP and DLNA, explaining and contrasting the two sets of standards. It might help clarify what each is capable of:

PMB

Jun 11, 2021, 2:40:49 AM6/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tutan,

The B2 does have DLNA (Maintenance menu) - turning this on does disable the 'play to Sonos' feature though. When on the B2 can then be seen by your DLNA enabled device and that device will be in control of what's played.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Davywhizz

Jun 11, 2021, 2:59:27 AM6/11/21
to Brennan Forum
This may be relevant, though I don't pretend to understand all the tech issues.  I have a Bluesound Node 2i streamer and connect my B2 optically to it, to benefit from its DAC, then send the combined signal to my hifi. I'm happy enough to set the Node to optical input and then use the B2 web UI to control the music, but I have tried using the Node to catalogue the B2 contents and play back through its own app (Blue OS).

Mixed results: I'd say the Node accurately recognised and catalogued 95% at least of what is on the B2, including almost all the album art. But there were some gaps and they seemed random: CDs I know I ripped direct to the B2 weren't recognised properly while some I did on my laptop were; some which were ripped with album art had the picture missing on the Node but some artwork I'd found on-line and added myself was present. Some albums had minor anomalies with track numbering, though all the tracks were present.

I decided it wasn't worth the effort of filling in the gaps and went back to using the Web UI. I think the problem is metatags and how the B2 doesn't use them. I could try what I think is still the experimental B2 setting to add tagging, but am reluctant to do that while my B2 is operating perfectly and I know the contents are all catalogued accurately. Your mileage, of course, may vary (as they say) and the Linn might be even better at this sort of thing.

Daniel Taylor

Jun 11, 2021, 6:34:51 AM6/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Davy,
I think you're right about the tagging information being at the root of why the Node does not recognize a few albums.  As an experiment that will not effect the operation of the B2, you could view one of the albums in question via NAS and add the tagging information for all the tracks manually, or using mp3tag. Once the tags are populated correctly, see if the Node now recognizes the album.

JFBUK

Jun 11, 2021, 9:57:35 AM6/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tutan,

The Linn Kazoo controller software will work 3rd party UPnP/AV media servers so if thats what you intend to use it should see the B2 DLNA server without a problem.
I have had 3rd party software that can act as a UPnP/DLNA controller (MediaMonkey and Foobar)  working to access the B2 DLNA  as a media server and render/playback on my more down market Yamaha amp.
As Davy and Daniel have already commented when you playback the level of track info may be limited by how complete the metadata tags for the track are.

John

Tutan Veron

Jun 11, 2021, 1:28:12 PM6/11/21
to Brennan Forum

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll summarise as an optimistic “probably”.