New user - some ripped CDs sound like a bad radio station

Mark Durrant

Feb 1, 2022, 8:35:04 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi there, just got my 240GB B2 and started ripping, but I have found a couple of discs when played back sounds like they are being broadcast via a pirate radio station. Others are playing fine. Any suggestions of the cause? I couldn't see any physical damage to the source disc which plays fine in another player.

Looking forward to a long and happy time with the b2!

Peter Lowham

Feb 1, 2022, 8:56:55 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

Would the 'problem' CDs happen to be SACD format of other non standard high resolution format?  That would explain why these CDs play OK in another player, as there is nothing wrong with the CDs; rather that they are just too high resolution.

Regards,
Peter.

Christian Sunderland

Feb 1, 2022, 10:13:21 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Also, if you click on the 'musical notes' on the left-hand side of the WebUi, is the ''Equaliser' Enables box ticked? - This is intended for the Brennan's internal amplifier played direct through speakers.  If you are playing through a separate external amplifier, it will sound like a wasp in a crisp packet!

Christian

Mark Durrant

Feb 1, 2022, 10:16:24 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Christian, no, the equaliser is not enabled.

Mark

JFBUK

Feb 1, 2022, 10:31:46 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

Its possible that CD will seemingly play OK but not rip OK.

The underlying algorithms differ including how they attempt to error correct.

If its an option for you I would try ripping the troublesome CDs on a computer and then uploading the ripped tracks to your B2.

Other ripping software  can allow you more control of the rip process including the speed at which it attempts to rip. Slower rip speeds can often times get over errors more successfully

John

Mark Durrant

Feb 1, 2022, 11:21:34 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John, good to know. I have a Mac I can try it on.

PMB

Feb 2, 2022, 4:24:43 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi themark...,

You could also try deleting the troublesome CDs and ripping them again. Try one first.

Paul
Brennan Support.