Random play of CD

David Kemp

Jan 6, 2021, 1:34:10 PM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi - reasonably new user, have just ripped 750 or so CDs and am now figuring out the best way to listen to them. One major irritation that I've discovered is the random playing of another CD when the last track finishes of the CD I've been listening to. I can't find a particular setting for this but it must be there somewhere! Any advice appreciated, I have latest software installed.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 6, 2021, 4:01:21 PM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
I share your preference.  To get the B2 to stop playing at the end of an album, set Classical Mode = ON (Settings menu).

David Kemp

Jan 7, 2021, 2:49:56 PM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks, I just find it strange that the default mode is to play a completely random CD after you've finished listening to a totally disconnected one, surely serious listeners of music don't want that? - unless it's low key background muzak listening. Just like the default clock mode showing seconds which I still don't understand..

Rik

Jan 7, 2021, 3:21:49 PM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I don’t experience this and so you might have a glitch.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 7, 2021, 3:35:14 PM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
What lewe... reports is expected activity.  I strikes me as strange, too.  I don't mind having the option to play albums randomly, but I don't think it should be the default.  And having to learn about Classical Mode is quite non-intuitive.

Rik

Jan 7, 2021, 3:43:31 PM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
The web Ui Settings has 'Segue mode', on or off. it’s very clear and easy to find.I've had it on so long I’d forgotten.

Mark Fishman

Jan 7, 2021, 3:57:03 PM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Is it playing, in fact, a "completely random CD", or is it playing the same *unrelated* CD? In other words, if you play a particular and specific CD "a", does it always play the same CD "z" after that specific CD "a"? or does it play a different CD each time you play that specific CD "a"?

The reason I ask is that Brennan devices seem to prefer playing albums in the sequence in which they are listed in an internal (text) database, and not in alphabetical order, or grouped by artist, or any other sequence that would make sense tyo some of us. What happens is that initially that internal database is listed in the order in which CDs were loaded into the Brennan device, and then as files are renamed, or deleted, or modified, the order might change to reflect the actual entries on the disc (not the display order, the physical order). That can SEEM random, but if you stop making changes, it is actually a fixed sequence -- just horribly scrambled.

PMB

Jan 8, 2021, 3:38:11 AM1/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I think Martin's original intention was for the B2 to simply play music. All the other options have been added, driven by user feedback, over time.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Kemp

Jan 8, 2021, 5:05:27 AM1/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks to all
Rik - Segue mode has always been off and that selects how one track transitions into the next which wasn't my problem. The answer was turning 'Classical Mode' on.
Mark - You are correct, it plays the same (musically) random CD after finishing listening to the music I want to listen to. So after CD '.X.' it will always play CD '.K.' for example.

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2021, 5:46:48 AM1/8/21
to Brennan Forum
I concur with Mark. Just been playing around with album sequences to see what happens on my B2. If I select and play a complete CD it is always followed by the same next CD and so on. Tried it repeatable for up to 5 CDs in a row to be sure.
It would be nice to be able to just select an Artist and let the B2 play through that artist's catalogue in sequence without having to create a playlist to do this. Not that creating a playlist for an artist is hard, it just seems it should be an unnecessary step. Also to be able to play random within the artist's catalogue would be nice too.
Love this wee machine, and these are only tweaks I think would only make B2 experience even better.
Listening to the B2 even more with Lockdown.
Happy New Year to Martin, Paul and Co at Brennan, and to all the Forum contributors.

Les Stanley

Jan 9, 2021, 12:05:20 AM1/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Another vote here for play by artist, both in sequence and random.