How do I rename radio stations?

Andrew Denny

Feb 11, 2018, 1:04:58 PM2/11/18
to Brennan Forum
I notice it's 'BBC Radio 2', but 'BBC Radio Three' & BBC Radio Four'.
How do I rename them so they follow the same naming convention?
Actually I would much prefer them all to be 'BBC R2 / R3 / R4' so that they all fit on the limited display.

I'd also like to delete some of the presets - I only want about five.

Thanks

Robin

Feb 11, 2018, 4:45:13 PM2/11/18
to Brennan Forum
At the moment radio stations cannot be renamed, but I believe that it’s on Martins wish list.

Andrew Denny

Apr 1, 2018, 9:14:21 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Is it possible for Brennan just to quickly rename the radio stations?  Surely it shouldn't take too long?
It's untidy and upsets my OCD :-)

Tony

Apr 1, 2018, 10:13:11 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
I posted on how I renamed the station I use.  Here's the link :

It's unfortunate Martin does not use a proper web forum server for this group - the same questions keep coming up and the lack of organization in a google group (beyone tags) makes searching quite difficult.

Brennan Support

Apr 3, 2018, 4:54:08 AM4/3/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony

Do you have any recommendations for Better forum software/service?

Google was recommended and was easy to set up - but there doesn't appear to be an API or a way to bulk download stuff to transfer to another service.

Martin

Tony

Apr 3, 2018, 9:00:09 AM4/3/18
to Brennan Forum
HI Martin

Sorry - didn't mean to sound negative about the choice of forum software - after you've taken time to support this in the first place.

If you google for "best forum software 2018" you'll get lots of very relevant hits.  From many years of personal experience, I've always enjoyed forums hosted with either SMF (Simple Machines Free) or phpBB.  And they are both "free" (assuming your time has no value of course).  SMF would probably be my personal choice.

This particular review site says it well :  Best Forum Software Free or Paid

A few obvious issues come to mind with Forum software vs Google sites.
  1. The software is "free" but you'll need to host it somewhere.  And somebody has to spend some time learning to configure it.
  2. You'll need to think a lot about the organization of topics on your forum. You can edit / modify later but some simple high level organization will help.  Perhaps your choice of tags in the google group can guide you there.  Certainly a topic called something "I'm a complete newbie - please help" is an obvious choice.  You could  also have a section for "Tips & Trick",  "Sonos", "Backing up the B2", "Networking", or "Off Topic".  And maybe even "Hacking the B2" where stuff like my rsync server suggestion could have been discussed.  You get the idea I'm sure.
  3. You'll need a (part time) admin.  Someone to move posts to more appropriate discussion threads for example. And to eliminate spammers.
  4. There is no easy way to migrate all the stuff from this google group AFAIK. You'd probably have to live with that.
Obviously up to you - it's your time.  But the valuable knowledge base you are building here in the google group has already become difficult to use / search due to only having straight linear time sequential organization.

Tony

Tony

Apr 3, 2018, 9:03:39 AM4/3/18
to Brennan Forum
P.S :  a great example of an SMF forum can be found on the SMF website.  It their own software :  Simple Machines Community Forum

Brennan Support

Apr 5, 2018, 4:00:12 AM4/5/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony

Thanks for the suggestions

I think I need to do some more videos when I get time - another suggestion I had was feeding the entire forum contents into an AI based retrieval system that will do a search based on natural language queries.

But yes - after a few months of operation I now have a better idea of whats needed and probably the biggest thing is that it it is helping - and now I find things about the B2 I didn't know.

Martin

Will Roberts

Dec 23, 2018, 12:24:50 AM12/23/18
to Brennan Forum
Martin:

When you started this forum on Google Groups, I recommended that you check out https://xenforo.com/ which is the platform being used by the Toyota Prius owners' forum "Prius Chat"

I acquired a plug-in electric hybrid car at about the same time my wife gave me the Brennan B2. I find the Prius Chat forum is extremely useful and easy to navigate and search. I check it every few days on the specific topic areas of interest. On the other hand, the BrennanB2 forum on Google Groups is virtually unusable and lacks any kind of organization by general topic (e.g., newbies, vtuner, wifi and network issues, methods of organizing your audio library, etc.). The search function is frustrating and frequently not helpful in finding relevant posts.

Please take a look at the PriusChat group (which is an international enthusiast/user group independent of Toyota) at https://priuschat.com/forum/

Xenforo is a British software company. In addition to licensing its software, it can provide customization, installation assistance, and other optional support services. Pricing is shown on their website. You can also review the full user manual and documentation: https://xenforo.com/help/

Regards,
Will

John Lang Wilson

Dec 23, 2018, 4:43:45 AM12/23/18
to Brennan Forum
Agree with SMF for a forum.

PMB

Dec 24, 2018, 5:58:03 AM12/24/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Will,

Thanks for the reminder - I'll take a look.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Tony

Dec 24, 2018, 12:32:02 PM12/24/18
to Brennan Forum
Perhaps Martin likes the "free" feature of google groups ?   ;P

PMB

Dec 27, 2018, 11:43:08 AM12/27/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

I think it was more a question of time (at the time) and wanting to get something up and running quickly, to see how it went. We are pleased with the reaction and use of the Forum and agree that it needs a more serious platform going forward.

Paul
Brennan Support.