B2 just arrived- adding music

John Barlow

Feb 1, 2021, 8:21:09 AM2/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Some of my CD collection is stored on ITunes as lossless files, other CDs have never been loaded iNto iTunes.
I have no interest in MP3 files. To put my iTunes library onto the Brennan in the best format available, will I notice any difference in quality if I upload via usb stick or do you recommend re-ripping the CDs .
Thankyou

PMB

Feb 1, 2021, 8:32:07 AM2/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John 20,

The B2 will only play WAV, FLAC, MP3 or AAC/ALAC (m4a) files, so you would need to check what format the music has been saved to on your iTunes. If it is not one of these you will either have to convert before transferring to the B2 or rip them again on the B2.

The default setting on the B2 is FLAC which is lossless compression and maintains CD quality on playback.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2021, 3:01:52 PM2/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Barlow,

I do not know how many CDs you have but, if you want my advice, I think your life path will be easier if your just re-rip them onto the B2. iTunes is VERY Apple proprietary and will fight you!

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2021, 8:24:21 PM2/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Barlow,

As you are new to the Brennan B2 world :)  here is some basic guidance
---------------------
The B2 is a "robust" device and due to the use of the internal Raspberry Pi and Brennan's software development model, the functionality provided by the Unit has up to now just got better and better with time (i.e not obsolete).
A few basic rules
1) "Scan Disk" regularly (when you have made any changes to your music collection especially after doing something to it over a NAS connection)
2) Keep an eye on the software releases (https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/latestSoftware) and "Web Upgrade" to get them.
3) before powering off the unit press and hold the front "Stop/Play" button until SAVING appears - after it goes back to the clock it is safe to power off.
4) allow air to flow round the unit freely.
5) Do NOT make the unit do more than one thing at once. eg if you are ripping, rip but don't listen to music from it at the same time (it will do this but it is best not to - down that path be dragons!!)

When ripping CDs load up to 20 CDs at a time (remember to "Scan Disk" and SAVE after each batch then set it to "Compress Now")
I also do a backup (NOTE use the "Export" function for this) after about 60 CDs. "Exports" are incremental!
All storage devices for use on the Brennan MUST be FAT32 format - Use the Brennan to do this formatting.

The power availability on the Units USB ports is limited (a consideration when attaching external HDD or CD readers) - consider powered devices or the use of a powered USB hub/port extender.

Some people say an external CD drive is better (faster) to use than the internal one, however I have loaded ALL my CD collection just using the Brennan's CD reader with no problems.

Ensure that you have the best possible connection of your Brennan Unit to your router (Ethernet cable is best if this is possible) but if not possible WiFi strength DOES matter.
A really good WiFi connection is helpful, and also aids use with other devices through NAS or DNLA if you want to go that route.
Many contributors here I recommend this little dongle with adjustable antenna in place of the supplied one if you find you have a poor signal strength -
------------------------
Fred

PMB

Feb 2, 2021, 4:39:43 AM2/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Barlow emailed me to say his iTunes collection is saved in m4a and asking if this would be OK, quality wise, to import to the B2.

I'm working on transferring some music from an old iPhone to the B2, via iTunes, and will write it up when I've done it.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Barlow

Feb 2, 2021, 5:10:41 AM2/2/21
to Brennan Forum

Thank you Fred. I think I will take your advice