B2 restarting problems

Chris Raven

Sep 14, 2020, 12:56:02 PM9/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi im a newbie to this site.
I bought a B2 with the external SD card plugged in on the right of the box.
When I ripped some CDs I pressed the stop/ play button to put on standby. I then unplugged it from the mains. When switching on again I just got the red and greed light flashing. So I reformatted the card as per instructions on Brennan website and started from scratch ,,, a bit frustrating. Everything seems to work ok apart from when trying out youtube ..but I LL leave that for now. Anyway now Im dreading switching off from mains in case it happens again ... any ideas ??... the SD CARD is performing fine other than that ..is it something im not doing ? is it ok to leave on standby all the time? ...
cheers Chris

Daniel Taylor

Sep 14, 2020, 1:19:53 PM9/14/20
to Brennan Forum
It could have been a one time occurrence.

Another possibility is that the SD card may have been bumped so that it was no longer making proper contact.  If the problem happens again, with power off, remove the SD card and then insert it again, making sure it goes straight in to its socket.

If you prefer to leave the unit powered on all the time, you might consider setting the standby brightness to a low value (or totally off) to save the display from early mortality.  See the Menu page of the Brennan website where it describes the Screensaver command under the Maintenance menu.

Chris Raven

Sep 14, 2020, 3:38:51 PM9/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel , I ve pushed the Standby display on the menu and it will come back on fine now  after powering down so maybe it wasn't actually in standby before
 cheers Chris

PMB

Sep 15, 2020, 2:59:47 AM9/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

You say you powered off after ripping some CDs - are you letting the B2 compress the ripped CDs i.e leaving it powered on and idle?

I power my B2 on and off each day and usually do the 'save' routine - from pause (clock screen), press and hold the Play/Stop button until 'Saving' has been shown and the display returns to the clock before releasing the button and powering off (which I do from the mains socket).

If you decide to leave the B2 powered on it is a good idea to set Screensaver to dim the display or turn it off in Standby mode.

Paul
Brennan Support
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Sep 17, 2020, 7:41:34 AM9/17/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

When you reflashed the SD card, did you run the 'Web Update' function afterwards in order to get to the latest version of software?

You mention having YouTube problems  There have been multiple fixes issued for YouTube problems over the last few months, so that is why I'm making this query.

Regards,
Peter.

Chris Raven

Sep 17, 2020, 6:11:42 PM9/17/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter
                yes I did run the Web Update thanks. I now think the problem is actually the SD card itself as again this evening after powering up it just flashes green and red and thats it - very frustrating after ripping 12 CDs last night  after a long working day ..still ....I formatted another SD card I was using in my dslr camera last night and ripped a cd onto it and this fits much more snuggly into the B2 -                The one that came with the machine ( despite already having  loads of music on it)  had a very slight "wobble" when fully in ...... the  ex camera SD card seems to be working ok so will stick with this brand and see what happens next .....maybe the Youtube problems  - music suddenly stopping ....will be eradicated as well .......will keep you posted ......thanks for the forum support ....its great and very reassuring!

regards Chris

Daniel Taylor

Sep 17, 2020, 8:26:29 PM9/17/20
to Brennan Forum
You said that one of the SD cards had a slight wobble when plugged in.  That's a bad sign.  It could mean there's something wrong with the socket.  Does the card from the DLSR fit securely - no wobble?