Compatible backup transfer rates

Thomas Mangano

Feb 8, 2022, 5:05:10 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Not sure I am using the right terminology.  I want to purchase a “non fake” 1tb memory stick, for backup.  Looking at a 400MB/s rate stick (PNY) which cost 3x premium.  What is the transfer rate on B2 side (HD model) so I can try to optimize the back up time and resources. Maybe it’s totally gated by the memory stick transfer rate, but I just want to double check first.  I have a virtually new 2tb B2 model but a long ways away from ever getting to 50% utilization of 2tb.  Thank you

PMB

Feb 8, 2022, 5:34:39 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi mangano,

You can buy a portable  USB HDD or SSD drive, rather than the expensive USB stick....

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Feb 8, 2022, 6:06:20 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Thomas,

The backup (Export) on a B2 will run at a maximum of about 8MB/sec which equates to about 28GB/hour.  Whether you use USB sticks, SSD drives or HDDs, this rate will be fairly consistent.  The important factor to note is that the B2 USB ports are USB 2.0.

The limitation is in the design of the Raspberry Pi USB 2 ports, so this factor will not change.  Also, in your example of a PNY 400MB/sec, this is a USB 3 unit and the 400MB/sec is a READ speed; the WRITE speed is likely to be something like 100MB/sec (still fast but works at this rate only in USB 3 mode).

So buying high performance devices will not be of any benefit in this case.  Also there aren't very many 1TB sticks on the market so they are still relatively expensive.  Also, avoid buying from eBay or Amazon; most of these are fake and can cause damage to your existing music collection.

Regards,
Peter.