bennyb

Apr 14, 2021, 2:58:17 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Just connected a new/old Macbook to my B2 and it is now locked in hours of file transfer under the heading CDDB Rip. I suppose this means the database of old CD info I recently downloaded is being exchanged between Brennan and Mac. I don't mind if it's necessary but it's obviously a helluva file and I am wondering again how I go about deleting it when I have finished my updatings. Otherwise, I take it this is normal process? Don't remember it happening with the previous Mac, unless it all happened in the night.

bennyb

Apr 14, 2021, 4:05:25 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Or is that the Mac has recognised a source of music data and is downloading it automatically? Can't seem to stop it anyway.

Mark Fishman

Apr 14, 2021, 5:29:09 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Although I have a B2, and have used Mac, Windows, and Linux computers, I confess I have no idea what you mean by "connected a new/old Macbook to my B2". Nor do I recognize the term "CDDB Rip".

To the best of my knowledge, a B2 will not download anything automatically from a computer that happens to be on the same network. Nor should a Mac. Perhaps you have turned on DLNA on the B2, and are running some software on the Mac that is  scanning the music folder on the B2 and building an index of what it thinks you want as a music library?

If you could explain exactly what you did, maybe this would make more sense.

bennyb

Apr 14, 2021, 6:45:56 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
I was using a Macbook to run the interface with the B2. It broke and I got another but it is a 2012 model. I switched on the wifi and typed in my B2 address and ended up with a no-access screen display showing major file transfers going on, with the headline information CDDB Rip and it returns that way if computer is shut down and restarted. I understand the CDDB to be Brennan shorthand for the original CD database, which is an optional add-on to the music search programme. I downloaded it in the course of catching up with cataloguing of old CDs.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 14, 2021, 7:18:50 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
I admit that I don't know what's actually going on either.  Does the Mac have any way to tell you what programs or services are running?  It would be good to find out what is running.  It sounds like maybe it's not what you want.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 7:23:48 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Are any of the lights on the front of the B2 (the red one) flashing?
Fred

bennyb

Apr 14, 2021, 9:51:22 PM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
The red one is on but steady. Oddly, if I check into the UI from my desktop PC, nothing is visibly happening and I can operate the machine as normal. So it's the Mac that is off in the wrong direction I think. Tried Force Quit on Safari and Itunes. There must be a way to work out what process is going on but I ha ven't found it yet.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 15, 2021, 6:40:41 AM4/15/21
to Brennan Forum
On the B2, turn DLNA off and Stop NAS.  With those two turned off, I don't know how the Mac would be able to do anything unauthorized with the B2.

bennyb

Apr 15, 2021, 8:08:54 AM4/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Answer in the end was to update the old version of Safari, the Apple browser, which had an html problem, or something like that. Thanks for the suggestions.

bennyb

Apr 15, 2021, 9:25:45 AM4/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Small ps: Looked like the Mac got stuck trying to download Dark Side Of The Moon, which is not in my album collection but presumably shows up as a catalogue item in the database. That make any sense?

Mark Fishman

Apr 15, 2021, 9:35:42 AM4/15/21
to Brennan Forum
On Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 9:25:45 AM UTC-4 bennyb wrote:
Small ps: Looked like the Mac got stuck trying to download Dark Side Of The Moon, which is not in my album collection but presumably shows up as a catalogue item in the database. That make any sense?

No, actually, it doesn't. There is no reason that any version of Safari should be trying to download all the things listed in a local copy of the CDDB when the actual music files aren't there.