JB7 dead USB port

Oliver Sachs

Aug 6, 2021, 8:00:49 AM8/6/21
to Brennan Forum
FB398D88-2998-456F-A35E-9C55E20E5C23.jpegHi!

I have a question regarding a defective JB7. It belongs to a friend of mine and I had a look at the device.

The problem is the following: The USB port no longer works. No matter what I connect, there is no message, nothing happens. My friend has another JB7, on it the USB devices work....

Maybe someone has the idea?

Is it most likely an electrical defect or is there a possibility that it is cold solder joints? I have photographed the solder joints once, maybe you can see something?

Best regards from Mannheim, Germany

Oliver Sachs

Daniel Taylor

Aug 6, 2021, 10:56:06 AM8/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Based just on what I see in that picture, the four larger solder joints next to the connector look pretty good.  The other ones it's hard to tell.  And there may be additonal solder joints on the other side of the circuit board.

I would try unplugging the connector and then plugging it in again several times to try and break through any oxidation that has occurred.  Beyond that, it seems likely that one of the parts has failed.  Do any of the nearby parts look damaged or burned?

Unless you have a circuit diagram, and a parts layout diagram, and appropriate test equipment, it's probably a job for a professional.

Peter Lowham

Aug 6, 2021, 11:15:02 AM8/6/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Oliver,

It might just be that the 5 volt supply to the USB socket has died.  It would be worth plugging a powered USB hub into the JB7 then plug the USB stick into the USB hub.  The powered hub would provide the USB stick with power and the JB7 might then see the USB device.

Regards,
Peter.

Oliver Sachs

Aug 7, 2021, 3:58:45 PM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Daniel, hello Peter,
thank you for your assessments!
So I will first connect a powered USB hub, maybe that will fix the problem.
If that does not lead to the goal I will plug and unplug the connector several times to eliminate any oxidation...
I'll be in touch soon and report :-)
Best regards
Oliver

Peter Lowham

Aug 7, 2021, 4:32:06 PM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Oliver,

Good luck!

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2021, 5:29:30 PM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I would reverse the order of the tasks ie 1 try and remove oxidation 2 use a powered hub
Because if it is oxidation then even with a powered hub the signals may not get through!
Fred

PMB

Aug 9, 2021, 4:16:54 AM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Oliver,

I think you will find that the 5V supply to the port has failed and the powered Hub will prove this or not.

Paul
Brennan Support.

martini...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2021, 4:32:00 AM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
OK U6 will be blown.. Common failure.
Some JB7 display boards have this fitted some dont.
If the board does not have U6 fitted then an inductor is fitted at L3
U6 is a MIC2009A-2
L3 is a BLM41PF800SN1L

My preferred option of repair is to remove U6 and install the inductor in the position L3.
Just for information U6 is configured to limit current on the USB port to 1A maximum.
Use this information at your own risk.

Cheers.
Message has been deleted

Oliver Sachs

Aug 9, 2021, 4:48:38 AM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
@fred
Thanks, I thougt the same, but I am a little hesitant to cut the locking varnish of the plug without knowing if it's worth the effort...

@paul
Thanks Paul, that's encouraging!

@martini
Ok, thanks, I'll have to translate this first :-)
(I am a trained radio and television technician, but I have only worked in the profession for a short time.)