Source Says "SD" - Should be HD

happymedium27

Jan 30, 2022, 3:48:13 PM1/30/22
to Brennan Forum
Everything was working fine, but now all of a sudden my b2 seems to keep defaulting to "Source SD" and displaying a fraction of the files loaded onto it! When I go into Maintenance and make HD the source it makes no difference.

Not even sure why the unit would want to save to the SD card in the first place, but:
A. Are files that appear to be stored on the SD NOT on the HD?
B. If so, how do I move them to the HD where I want them to live?
C. What is the point of storing music files on the SD (presumably a much smaller storage space)? I thought the SD was merely where the b2's OS resided.
D. What do I need to do to make sure the b2 only looks to the HD for music files??

Thanks
John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2022, 4:28:02 PM1/30/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi happym,

The B2 has an internal HDD(or SSD) onto which music is normally placed.
It also has a small removable SD Card onto which the operating software is placed. This SD Card also has a music data area to which music can be captured (usually when you are recording using the line input.
Sometimes, to protect the music on the HDD/SSD the operating software will automatically switch to using the SD Card. If this happens music you are ripping will go there rather than to the HDD/SSD.

This seems to have happened in your case. Thus what was on your HDD/SSD is sill there and you also have some later stuff on your SD Card (and NOT on the HDD/SSD). There are tools to move them from the SD Card to the HDD/SSD in the B2 menus.

You say you have tried to switch the B2 back to using the HDD/SSD
a.JPG

If this is the case there is likely a serious issue with the HDD/SDD drive that we will need to address first.

Please could you tell us which version of the Brennan OS you are using and how old your Brennan is.
The former information can be obtained by clicking on the "cog" symbol in the Brennan Web UI or by pressing "info" on the Brennan remote twice (at least more than once) and looking at the front screen.
It will also be useful if you could tell us what that front screen says during boot up.

Thanks

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2022, 9:08:28 PM1/30/22
to Brennan Forum
I got this to my personal email.

In keeping with the intermittent nature of this issue… everything seems to be fine now. But here’s the info you asked for. The b2 itself is about a year old.
a.JPG
Burn it Bright,
John

Hi John,
when replying to the forum, please use the forum (reopen your original question thread) to make the reply. This enable others to see the history and to jump in to help if they can.

Thanks

Fred.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2022, 9:23:19 PM1/30/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

I am glad that you B2 is now back to normal, you did not indicate in your original post that the problem had occurred before and was intermittent.

I not from your setting screen that you have 70 WAV files. I think it would be a good idea to set the B2 to compress these to FLAC like the rest. While this is happening please leave the B2 alone to complete the job.
Also when using the B2, do not ask it to do 2 things (or more) at a time.
If you are ripping with it just do the rips, do not listen to music or radio at the same time. If you are editing stuff, just edit, do not play music at the same time.
When ripping, rip in batches of about 30 CDs then leave the B2 to compress these and after compression finishes make a backup (Export to USB C or A) of your work (Export is incremental).
When you have used you B2 to do anything other than play music (including compressions) power off your B2 by pressing the Play/Stop button and holding this in until "saving" appears on the front display. You can power off the B2 after
the time reappears on the display.

To get the music that has got on to the SD Card into its proper place use the front panel menus to set to "settings" and use "get recordings"
a.JPG

I would also recommend you regularly do a "Scan Disk" after a compression run, the above move, any editing you do. After do a "saving" shut down.

Fred

happymedium27

Jan 30, 2022, 10:55:04 PM1/30/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your response. Sorry for not posting mine to the group.

1. The 70 WAV files reflect  recent rips that haven't been converted to FLAC yet. I always compress to FLAC.
2. I never play music or the radio while I'm ripping. I'm well aware of the b2's limitations in that respect.
3. I actually never rip more than about 10 CD's before I hit the COMPRESS ALL button.
4. I back up to a USB drive after every 30 discs I rip.
5. This is the first I've ever heard of a "saving" shut down — but I'll be sure to add it to my already fairly by-the-book process.

Cheers,
John

Peter Lowham

Jan 31, 2022, 3:48:44 AM1/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

I have plugged your stats into my Estimator Spreadsheet and most of these look good with one exception; which is that there are 70 WAV files present.

I think that the root cause of the B2 switching to SD is caused by some corrupted tracks on the B2's internal HDD, caused possibly by not using the 'power down procedure' documented above by Fred.  The B2 might have been compressing when it was powered down at some point and that would be the most likely cause of disk corruption.

It looks like one or more of the WAV tracks are in this corrupted area and when the B2 begins to start compression on these tracks, it finds the corruption and puts the HDD into 'read only' mode in order to protect the music collection from becoming more corrupt.

If this is the problem, the way to fix it is to do a full Export of your collection to a USB device (which you have been doing), then format the B2's internal HDD, then Import the USB data back onto the B2.

A full Import of your collection would take about 22 hours.

If you wish to do this then let us know before you start as there is a revised procedure for running the 'Format HDD' function which ensures that the format works fully.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jan 31, 2022, 4:39:10 AM1/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

The B2 software checks for the HDD during the power up sequence and if none is detected it selects the SD Card. In your case the HDD may have been slow to respond and the B2 switched to SD Card mode, without you noticing. Therefore the last few CDs you ripped are now on the SD Card.

I'm not sure 'Get recordings' will work as expected as all the music will be stored under 'Recording' as the Artist. You need to switch to SD mode (Use SD) and then make a backup (a (FAT32 formatted) USB stick should be sufficient), switch back to HDD (Use HDD) and 'Import' the contents of the stick.

Paul
Brennan Support.