PL-How_to: Using dBPoweramp to create '.mirror' files

Peter Lowham

Jul 12, 2021, 12:12:23 PM7/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

NOTE:  this is a reworked version of an article that I issued in April 2021.  That version had a significant error in the set up instructions, so I have corrected the insructions and have attached those here.

I have been using 'dBpoweramp' since Martin introduced the 'flac+mp3' option in the middle of 2020.  This is a great function; in each 'flac' album folder, it creates a hidden album folder named '.mirror' which is the 'mp3' copy of the 'flac' album.

This is particulaly good when used with the B2's 'Export mp3s' function.  This works from a playlist that you create to select your desired music.  The function writes the 'mp3' equivalents to a USB stick and gives you a very convenient way to create 'mp3' music for your car unit, mp3 player, etc.

The problem with the B2 'flac+mp3' option is that it is very slow to run through the music collection.  My first run took 25 days to complete.

So I looked at 'dBpoweramp' as a way of artificially generating the '.mirror' files.  The attached PDF document describes how to set this up in dBpoweramp' so that it is as near a 'one-click' operation as possible, once you have done the initial set up.

In my case, 'dBpoweramp' can complete the task in 18 hours so it is a lot faster.

If you find any errors or unclear text in the document, just post back here and I'll make any necessary updates or improvements.

Regards,
Peter.

dBpoweramp_Instructions_V2.0.doc

PMB

Jul 13, 2021, 3:57:01 AM7/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Jul 18, 2021, 7:42:50 AM7/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

My apologies, I forgot to publish these instructions in 'PDF' format, so here they are now.

Regards,
Peter.

dBpoweramp_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Jeff. M.

Aug 10, 2021, 8:29:16 AM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter, further to this, I ripped all my cds to flac mp3. Is there a way that I can pick out just the MP3s, so I have a Flac list and an MP3 only list. Preferably all the MP3s. Thanks.

Peter Lowham

Aug 10, 2021, 10:22:10 AM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff,

Yes this is fairly easily done once you know the process.  By good chance I was just working on an article on this very subject and ws planning to publish it here on the forum shortly.  At the moment the details are complete but it lacks any screenshots, which sometimes help to describe a situation more effectively than words.

Anyway, I have attached a PDF version of the instructions, and I hope that you can follow the steps.  I will re-issue soon with screenshots included, but this should get you going in the meantime.

If there is nanything that you need further explanation of then please just post back here and I will try to help further.

Regards,
Peter.
How_to Export_All_mp3_tracks.pdf

Jeff. M.

Aug 10, 2021, 11:22:02 AM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Thats great Peter, I was hoping the all mp3 playlist could be saved on my PC via NAS, I would find this far more usable to create USB disks for the car, etc. Thanks.

Peter Lowham

Aug 10, 2021, 12:10:26 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff,

I ran the 'Export mp3s' process to a USB HDD, then plugged the USB HDD into my server and copied the mp3 folders/ files to that server.  So I can now drag and drop the folders and files to a USB stick very easily.  But the 'Export mp3s' is very convenient to use directly on the B2, so I have that option as well.

Regards,
Peter.

Jeff. M.

Aug 10, 2021, 12:16:22 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Mmmm, thought you may say that, I don't have a spare HDD, I did just install a 1 TB Disk in my PC just for storage a few days ago, I'm sure I can juggle the usb hdd discs around that I do have. Thanks.

Jeff. M.

Aug 14, 2021, 6:14:54 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, Peter, I missed out one of your instruction lines, and made a complete new back up! Thought it was taking a while!. Have now made just the mp3 folder. About 25 gb for 7000 tracks. Pity it doesn't carry over album art, but you can't have everything. thanks for your help.

JFBUK

Aug 14, 2021, 7:20:39 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff & Peter

may be a bit late but this might be of interest for the future

John

Peter Lowham

Aug 14, 2021, 7:47:38 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff,

Do I need to make any instruction lines more clear?  I'm happy to re-issue if so.

7000 tracks and 25GB looks good for mp3 compression @ 128KB/ sec.

Regards,
Peter.

Jeff. M.

Aug 14, 2021, 7:59:19 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
No thanks, all sorted, was in a rush to get out last night, and just missed one of the lines. All sorted now, ready for the car! Thanks.

Peter Lowham

Aug 14, 2021, 8:12:23 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff,

That's really good.  The MP3 files are great for car journeys and for travelling in general!

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Aug 14, 2021, 8:54:08 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Thanks very much for that pointer; that is going to be really useful!  When I get some spare time, I'll add that information into my instuction set and will re-issue.

Regards,
Peter.