That is amazing. How did it do that?

Phil B

Dec 31, 2018, 6:42:19 AM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
I wanted to put my vinyl copy of McCartney onto the Brennan. Rather than fool around with recording direct from the turntable,it seemed simpler to me to burn a CD-RW of it and then load it in.
I was expecting to have to retitle it, and name all the tracks. But somehow it did it for me. Trying to work out how it did it - offering up a sample of the music to the wisdom of the web? Boggled.
Thank you, and Happy New Year
Phil

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2018, 7:29:48 AM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Phil, curious of how you did it. Did you record it to a PC first, then burn CD-RW on that before ripping/uploading to B2. What format did you record as ? Any special software needed to separate the tracks?

Daniel Taylor

Jan 1, 2019, 1:13:26 PM1/1/19
to Brennan Forum
That's a head-scratcher.  If you learn any more about it, please share.

Mark Fishman

Jan 1, 2019, 9:13:36 PM1/1/19
to Brennan Forum
Just a guess, but the track lengths and sequence of the vinyl probably match those on the corresponding CD closely enough that the FreeDB lookup returned the correct info. The track lengths are used to generate the disc IS through some algorithm that I don't understand, and that's how the lookup is done -- which is why sometimes you get info for a completely different disc that happens to match.

Mark Fishman

Jan 1, 2019, 9:31:31 PM1/1/19
to Brennan Forum
ID, of course, not IS. Stupid auto-incorrect. I hate half-smart software.

PMB

Jan 2, 2019, 4:16:07 AM1/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Phil,

It was probably the software you used to record the album and/or burn the CD-R. What did you use, as others are interested?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 2, 2019, 9:41:16 AM1/2/19
to Brennan Forum
> I hate half-smart software.
Mark:  Ha!  Indeed.

Chris Davidson

Jan 2, 2019, 9:55:30 AM1/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi all, to add to the discussion, I have "ripped" a lot of vinyl to CD prior to getting my Brennan - here are some points in case they are any help:

1) the recognition by cddb of home burned CDs is very hit and miss - sometimes it happens, other times not!

2) Now I am transferring vinyl to my PC for onward journey to the Brennan, I create flac files and insert the tag info myself. I use Audacity to record the vinyl (on a Linux computer, but there are versions of it for Windows too) There have been programs i have used in the past which purport to separate the tracks - but I found them very unsatisfactory. They work by detecting a pause in the sound - which fails if a track has "silent" passages in it, but also where tracks merge into one another without a pause. The other benefit of this more "hands on" approach is that it allows me to edit out cracks and blips (which a lot of my albums seem to have!) before uploading to the Brennan. So in my experience it is quite a lot more time consuming than CD ripping!

Phil B

Jan 2, 2019, 1:26:35 PM1/2/19
to Brennan Forum
I think Mark Fishman has got close. I didn't use a computer, just an old-fashioned CD burner via the amp from the turntable. I tried the method suggested by the (excellent) Brennan home page but got in a stew over levels and cables.

So basically it is a CD-RW which is ripped to the B2, and I guess as Mark suggests it is looking for that many tracks of those lengths Further success with more of solo Beatles' oeuvres, except with one because I added a B-side and clearly utterly confused the search.

Interestingly I had no success with Bruce Springsteen's first two albums, so I'm guessing it is only the big sellers that are decipherable in this way.

But loving the unintended consequence. Bless the B2