Cover art query

pot.s...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 4:28:35 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
I have uploaded to my B2 a concert which I downloaded from the web. I created some cover art for it and named 'coverart.jpg' which is in the same folder. There was already some cover art in the download which I didn't use.

The problem is that when I play this through the mobile app it shows the original cover art and not the one I made? Why? Strangely if I use the web UI it uses the art that I made.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 4:57:27 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Not sure I have a comprehensive answer - there are several possibilities
1) you say   There was already some cover art in the download which I didn't use.  did you delete this or just add the  'coverart.jpg'? If both are there then it would be a lottery as to which one was used - remove the art you don't want and try again.
2) it could be that the old cover-art is cashed in your phone/pad/laptop when using the mobile app (from an old session) - try clearing this out and see if that cures the problem.
3) while the B2 does not use MP3 metadata tags it does not mind them being in the music. Cover art can be stored in the music as MP3 metadata, there is a possibility that the "old" cover art is being picked up and used by the Mobile app. Dont know how to resolve this one :-)

Tell us which one works for you.

Fred

Peter Lowham

Mar 17, 2022, 9:31:16 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi pot.s...,

I think that the issue is as follows.

Although it is widely believed that the Brennan does not use tag data (that is non-music data that is stored inside each individual music track file), this is not entirely accurate.

The Brennan WebUI uses two sources for displaying cover art.

1.  The file 'coverart.jpg' which is stored alongside the music tracks in the <album> folder. On the WebUI this is displayed in the right hand window, in the 'Album' field.

2. In the WebUI, In the top left hand window where the 'currently playing' track information is displayed, that image is stored in the tag data for that track.

The Brennan mobile  app appears to use only the tag data, but I only ran a quick test on that element.

Regards,
Peter.

JFBUK

Mar 17, 2022, 10:26:35 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

If you want to use your own cover art and have it displayed when you play back a track then you will have to re-tag the tracks with this personal cover art.
There are several software packages that with do this including MP3Tag.

John

Daniel Taylor

Mar 17, 2022, 10:46:01 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
When the album being played and displayed in the upper left window does not have cover art embedded in the meta data tags, it will use the coverart.jpg contained in the Album folder.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 12:25:17 PM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks everyone now I too know a little bit more 😃

Fred

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 12:37:28 PM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
As John describes, you can use MP3Tag to delete the embedded cover-art and add your own. MP3tag is a free bit of software, but you can donate something to the provider if you wish.

Peter Lowham

Mar 17, 2022, 2:04:37 PM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I received a PM from pot.s so I have reposted it here.
I think that you are right re the tagged data. How do I remove the tag?
Hi pot.s..,

As answered above, mp3Tag is a product that enables you to edit the tag data and this is what I use.  Although it is called mp3Tag, it will allow you to edit most other files types such as .flac, etc.

Regards,
Peter.