Brennan B2 connected to REGA ELEX-R

roger yates

Feb 2, 2022, 7:42:04 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
I have to connect using analogue jack to my REGA amp as it doesn't have optical input only standard RCA inputs.  The amp is great for my turntable but can I do a better quality sound connection for the Brennan?  I have read about the  'just tested this inexpensive DAC with optical input - £12.99 from Amazon' on the Brennan site.  will this give better sound quality  initially taking the digital info with an optical connection from the Brennan out then it being converted to the RCA outputs to the AMP?   Help please.

Davywhizz

Feb 2, 2022, 8:35:28 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
It will certainly work, but only you can decide if it does a better job than the B2's internal DAC. Some users of this forum think it does.  Here's a review of what I think is the same one, from the Audio Science Review website:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amazon-basics-optical-coax-dac-review.30339/

You would need a slightly different cable than the one supplied to try it - it needs to have a "mini toslink" plug at the B2 end, to fit the combined "spdif/line out" socket. You could just get a tiny adaptor (toslink to mini-toslink) to clip on to one end of the supplied cable, to achieve the same thing. They are very cheap.

roger yates

Feb 2, 2022, 9:34:31 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for this Davy,
i'm wondering if i will do just as well or better if i pay for a higher performance audio jack out eg audioquest Golden gate 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA audio  connection cables for the amp.  any idea?  or do i just need to try.  i currently use a Ugreen RCA audio cable 2RCA phono male to 3.5mm headphone jack.
Roger
the above is the message I think went to your email.  ive just checked my set up.   i'm already using audioquest golden gate for this analogue connection.  so prob struggling to improve the analogue?

Daniel Taylor

Feb 2, 2022, 9:46:11 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi rjr...
If you are a person who can hear and appreicate the difference between cables to the point where you are willing to pay for AudioQuest cables, then I should think that you will appreciate the improvements in a better, external  DAC.  IMO, you should pay at least as much for the DAC as you paid for the cables.  ;o)

Personally, although I can hear and appreciate differences in (some) audio components, I am skeptical about differences in cables being worth the cost.

Davywhizz

Feb 2, 2022, 10:38:18 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi R

Yes, like Daniel, I'd prefer a better DAC to a cable upgrade.