BT Hub6 will not connect

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 11:10:35 AM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
I have recently installed a BT Hub 6. (Previous hub was a BT Hub5 and all worked well.)
I cannot get a wireless connection, I have tried again after a 'reset wi-fi' still no connection.
I have also tried a wired connection using the Cable Matters USB to Ethernet adaptor shown on the website Blue, Green and Yellow flashing lights all working. I have tried switching hub off and restarting, Still no connection.
B2 Serial number is 98438170322 I cannot see 'Get Ethernet' in my advanced menu.
I would appreciate any advice as to what to try next.
Many thanks,   Duncan.

JFBUK

Feb 19, 2022, 11:42:46 AM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

you will only have the "Get Ethernet" option if you are running the B2B version of the software.
Which version are you running ?

Click on the little cog wheel in the web UI.

Since you had the Hub 6 installed are all your other devices connecting OK e.g. phone, tablet if you have them ?

John

Peter Lowham

Feb 19, 2022, 11:45:01 AM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

Firstly, this problem should be resolvable; I used a BT Hub 6 for about 2 years until I upgraded to fibre which involved changing to a BT Smart Hub 2.  The BT Hub 6 worked very well for me.

What version of B2 software are you running on?  Is it 'B2B ...........' or 'B2 ...........'?  The 'Get Ethernet only works on B2B software at this time.  The date of the software version is also important as 'Get Ethernet' was introduced quite recently.

What type of Wifi device did you get with your B2; is it an antenna type or a little dongle type?

If the dongle is marked 'CSR 5.0' or similar then that is a Bluetooth device.  The Wifi dongle looks very similar.

The USB to Ethernet adapter will not work until 'Get Ethernet' is run because this function downloads the USB to Ethernet device driver which is necessary for this device to work correctly.

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 1:58:11 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,
All other devices connected to Hub 6 running ok.  I suspect i may not have B2B but cannot see via web UI as no connection to hub.
I may have to get new B2B card and try it.
Thanks for your reply,  Duncan

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 2:08:56 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,
The Wi-Fi  device which was running fine on the Hub 5 was little dongle type.
Looks like I need to ensure I have the latest software so that I can run 'get ethernet' and try again.
Thanks for your reply,    Duncan.

Hbunnet

Feb 19, 2022, 2:10:42 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Use "info" on the remote pad, and you can see the info on the B" display. You can scroll through this using the up & down arrows.
John

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 2:25:07 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,
that works it's B2 June 1 2021. So I now know I need B2B. Do you know if I purchase a new SD Card will that get me B2B?
Thanks for your reply,    Duncan

Peter Lowham

Feb 19, 2022, 2:54:51 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

Yes, the card that you receive will be a 'B2B ....' version.  When you install it, it will be slightly behind in terms of date, but if you run 'Settings' --> 'Web Upgrade' then it will update to the latest release.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2022, 3:19:38 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan

If you take your B2 remote and go to the front of the B2 so that you can see the display then press "info" on the remote twice, it should display the software version for you.

Fred

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 4:39:57 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,
many thanks, I will send for a new card then I guess its 'get ethernet' followed  by a 'web upgrade'.
Thanks for your help,    Duncan

Duncan H

Feb 19, 2022, 4:42:02 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Thanks for this, it works.

Duncan.

Peter Lowham

Feb 19, 2022, 5:58:21 PM2/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

I would go for 'Web Upgrade' first, then 'Get Ethernet'.

Regards,
Peter.
Message has been deleted

PMB

Feb 21, 2022, 5:12:09 AM2/21/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

I see the Cable Matters USB-Ethernet adapter is listed as not compatible on the BB1 User Guide page, so guess it may not work on the B2 either.

The UGreen adapter - link - is mentioned.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Duncan H

Feb 23, 2022, 11:29:17 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, John, Peter and Fred.

I have now fitted a new B2B SD Card. This has connected to the BT Hub 6 first go so I am up and running again and able to use a Mobile or Laptop to control my B2.
At the moment I do not need the USB to Ethernet connection I was trying because my old SD card would not connect with The Hub 6 after having been connected to a Hub 5.
It may be of use in the future, if I were to set up the Ethernet connection at a later date. Is it possible to revert back to wi-fi again later if I wished to?
Anyway for the time being all seems to be working ok, many thanks to you all for your help.

Duncan

Peter Lowham

Feb 23, 2022, 11:39:16 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

That's great news!  And yes, you can switch back and forth between wired and wifi connections, but note that the IP address will change.  If you use the same wifi device, you should find that the B2 will be issued with the same IP address that it was given previously and the same is true for the wired connection.

It is good practice to unplug the Wifi dongle from the B2 when you are using the wired connection and unplug the wired connection when using the Wifi dongle.  The B2 can get confused if both network connections at the same time.

Regards,
Peter.

Duncan H

Feb 23, 2022, 11:45:45 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that extra info, hopefully that will save confusion at a later date.

Regards,   Duncan