Which external CD player works with the B2

Bob West

Sep 21, 2020, 2:12:57 AM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I spent about $60 on a LG GE 24NU40 external DVD/CD player writer to use with the B2 because so many on this forum said an external drive that was faster would really speed up the process of ripping hundreds of CDs.  Unfortunately that LG doesn't work with the B2.

If those of you who are using an external drive that works well with the B2 would please tell me what brand and model they have it would be great.  The LG doesn't work at all when hooked to the USB A on the B2 and will play thru the USB  C but the audio cuts in and out several times per track.  I couldn't find a cable to buy with a micro USB on one end and the right USB to plug into the LG on the other to try that alternative.

Please take a minute and let me know which CD player works for you, it would be much appreciated.

FYI When hooked to my computer the LG CD player worked flawlessly.

Thanks so much.

lyn...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2020, 4:27:50 AM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I've got an old DVD writer from Samsung from 2009, model SE-S084, which works very well.

When using it I have to connect it to B2 before I start the B2 otherwise it won't recognize it.

Lennart

Bob West

Sep 21, 2020, 7:08:56 PM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Lyn thanks for your suggestion.
It is likely that I wont be able to find that old a model so it would be great if I got a few more models that you folks know would work.
I do have a DVD player i use in my office and wonder if it would work.
Its a Oppo BDP 83.  It is a dvd/cd player only so I assume it wouldn't be any faster than the B2, or maybe not even as fast??
So do you have to have a dvd/cd writer for it to rip cds faster than any player would be?
Seems logical but dont know for sure.
Thanks for whatever additional info you folks can provide.
Bob

Daniel Taylor

Sep 21, 2020, 7:40:50 PM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
On the Brennan website, on the page for Ripping & Compression about 2/3 of the way down the page where it says Using an External CD Drive, there are two drives recommended.  There is a wealth of information on the Brennan website.

PMB

Sep 22, 2020, 3:31:05 AM9/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,

The LG GE 24NU40 is one we tested and show on the Ripping & Compression page - link - on the website, so should work. Have you tried USB A and USB C - power off first as the B2 mounts the drive during the boot up routine.

 I understand the LG GE 24NU40 is no longer available and I have been unable to find any alternative desk top DVD/CD Drives - they all appear to be the slim type now.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Sep 22, 2020, 5:44:23 AM9/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Even though the LG GE 24NU40 is no longer a current model, you can still find them - often at a reduced price.  The size is nice - you can set the B2 on top of the CD drive.

Bob West

Sep 23, 2020, 4:04:50 AM9/23/20
to Brennan Forum
TO Paul, Daniel and all others with knowledge about this issue
The   LG GE 24NU40 is the unit I bought new just for this reason.  The wifi dongle didn't come with my B2 so I'm waiting for the ethernet cable to arrive to update the firmware on the B2 which I bought new almost 2 years ago but because of health issues have only now been able to try and set up.  I wonder if the old firmware is the reason for the audio drop outs???    I  cant find what my firmware level is, do you suppose that might be the cause of the Audio dropouts??  Just trying to play the CD from the  LG GE 24NU40, it doesn't work at all when hooked to the USB A jack.  When hooked to the USB C jack it will start playing then several times during a track Audio drops out and it sounds like the LG might be searching for something.  The LG works fine when hooked up to my desk top playing the same CD.

Here is the sequence I use.  Power off both the LG and the B2.  Hook the LG to B2's USB C port.  Power up LG, then turn on the B2.  Is there another sequence I should be using?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I 'm getting so frustrated about this I wouldn't mind spending another $50 buying a different CD Ripper if I could be fairly confident that it would fix this problem.

How do I find the software/firmware revision on my B2?
Is there a good write up on how to navigate the menu?
Do any of you have an external CD that they have used successfully with the B2 that they no longer need and are willing to sell?
Thanks Bob

rita....@btopenworld.com

Sep 23, 2020, 5:11:04 AM9/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob

I've got an LG DVD writer GP57EB40, which I've had for over 2 years. It cost about £20 (UK) and I bought it from Amazon.   I've ripped about 1000 cd's on it and it has been fine.  Only 2 (damaged) CDs refused to play on it.  I run it and everything except the WIFI dongle on a powered 4 way USB extension socket plugged into USB C.

Hope that helps

Rita