Replacing CD drive

Suki Azami

Feb 15, 2022, 11:40:53 AM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum

Well, my CD drive failed. After a few attempts it displays "CD Empty" with a disc in it.

1. How difficult would it be to change out the drive?

2. Which drive (model/brand) would be best?

Using an external drive works great.

Suki Azami

Feb 15, 2022, 3:14:43 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum

Brennan Support,

Do you sell a replacement drive for the B2?

Ray Dion

Feb 15, 2022, 4:18:48 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Not speaking for Brennan. There is another option and that is an external USB CD drive. I have used it to load nearly 900 CDs. As long as it does not need a driver (I don't think a lot do if you get a generic, mine is from Amazon). I chose to do this because I knew I would be doing a lot of CDs in the first months so I wanted to save wear and tear on the internal unit. I also read it was faster if the drive had better specs.
I did buy an external USB hub so I could keep all the dongles going. Before that I had to have the drive and WIFI attached only. There are trade offs.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 15, 2022, 4:29:25 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
For those who are not intimidated by taking the B2 apart, changing the CD drive is not terribly difficult.  There have been threads in the forum, not too long ago, that mention what compatible drive to look for.  Search the forum for "replace CD drive" or something like that.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 15, 2022, 4:31:42 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Paul (from Brennan Support) said that you need a "UJ8A8 DVD/CD Drive - it needs to be a slot loading, 9.5mm high drive with SATA I interface."

Suki Azami

Feb 15, 2022, 5:13:26 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum

Thank you for the information on the drive!

I found one on Amazon.

I also found this video on Youtube on B2 disassembly:

Daniel Taylor

Feb 15, 2022, 5:21:02 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
I've forgotten (or never knew) if your B2 is still under warranty.  If it is, Brennan will probably send you a replacement CD drive.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2022, 8:06:46 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
If your B2 is new then it is possible that you may have a unit with a faulty CD drive, they are 3rd party,   standard PC units and during Covid there was I understand a quality issue with a batch. Wait for Paul from Brennan to read  this and respond.

Fred

PMB

Feb 16, 2022, 4:25:13 AM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Suki,

The UJ8A8 was the original drive but recent production used a different one that doesn't have the same mountings. The only way to be sure is to open the B2 and check which drive it has.

If your B2 is less than a year old we will replace the drive FOC. Please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of the issue and we will get it sorted.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Suki Azami

Feb 22, 2022, 2:06:02 PM2/22/22
to Brennan Forum
I received a replacement UJ8A8  drive, 9.5mm from Amazon, and upon opening up the unit discovered that the existing non-working drive was actually a little thicker. Existing drive is attached to frame by two metal brackets. The 9.5mm UJ8A8  drive has existing holes that line up perfectly with the brackets, and the thinner UJ8A8 9.5mm drive aligns perfectly with the slot once attached to the brackets.

Fired it up, and worked like a charm!

Hats off to Brennan  for designing the B2 to be VERY easy to wok on!

PMB

Feb 23, 2022, 5:58:53 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Suki,

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Florencio Sud

Feb 23, 2022, 6:55:46 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul
Do I gather from this (and other) conversations, that Brennan are happy to ship out a replacement drive without the bother of me having to return the entire unit?
I'm quite compentent at "diving in" to the unit (I have replaced the SD card before and also attached a thin ethernet cable to the PI quite happily).
I can supply a copy of the sales invoice (from Amazon) for proof of purchase. (I'm resident in the UK - Devon)

Regards
Ivor

Daniel Taylor

Feb 23, 2022, 7:34:46 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ivor,
Since Paul has already been here this morning, he may not see your note until tomorrow.  In the meantime, if you will describe your situation in an email sent to thebrennanb2 @ gmail . com (no spaces) that will get you moving in the right direction.

Dirk Sostman

Feb 23, 2022, 8:00:29 AM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Dear All

FWIW I replaced a defective CD drive and it was quite straightforward.  If you can open the B2 to add an ethernet cable, you can replace the CD drive.  The only kink was that the drive was a different model than the UJ8A8.  I simply returned the replacement one I bought to Amazon, got the correct one and Brennan refunded the price of the drive.  It took a total of an hour or so but not having to ship the unit out was more than worth it.  Brennan were quite helpful and prompt with the refund.

I have an illustrated step by step but it seems to be too large to post.  If anyone wants it, just send me your email address.  I think Paul may have a copy also.

Cheers

Dirk

PMB

Feb 24, 2022, 5:45:40 AM2/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ivor,

Please email us on -  thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces, with a brief description and your address, we will get it sorted for you.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Florencio Sud

Mar 4, 2022, 3:12:09 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Just a word to say many thanks to all involved at Brennan for sending a replacement CD (DVD) drive. I fitted the new one tonight and my B2 is back to how it was when I initially received....working beautifully!
Interesting to note that both drives were manufactured in 2010/11, and that the new drive is OLDER than the original (Sony) drive.
Do you guys need the broken one back (to claim against supplier etc)??

Ivor

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 3:28:37 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ivor,

Some of these DVD/CD drives have not been manufactured for years because laptops now no longer have these units fitted in general, so many companies have purchased large quantities in advance.  So it is not unusual to find these dates on what is known as 'new old stock' (NOS) where the device is new but has been in stock for a long time.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Mar 7, 2022, 3:45:13 AM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ivor,

Glad to hear your B2 is up and running again.

No need to send us the old drive, thanks.

Paul
Brennan Support.