recording through Aux

steve morley

Apr 21, 2021, 5:01:36 AM4/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi

I have recorded radio progs several times onto the B2 via the Aux, but these recordings are slippery things. In trying to find them I search for "recording" and sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. On the occasions that they do appear I have tried to place them in a playlist so that I can export them to a USB. Again, sometimes they appear on the Playlist, and sometimes they don't. They never do when I try to export them. Can anyone explain what is going on, and what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers
Steve

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2021, 7:54:16 AM4/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Have you run a "Scan Disk" after your recording session?

Fred

steve morley

Apr 21, 2021, 3:06:29 PM4/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, I have run the "scan disk" twice, but the recordings seem to have disappeared. But perhaps I am not using the right kind of search term - "recording/s" - to retrieve them?

Daniel Taylor

Apr 21, 2021, 4:48:54 PM4/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I've never done this so I'm sort of shooting in the dark.  Did you rename the recording before trying to transfer it from the SD card to the HDD?  It could be that the transfer command is looking for a particular folder name.  If it didn't find what it was looking for, the original but renamed file should still be on the SD card.  If that is the case, we can provide more help in retreiving it.

PMB

Apr 22, 2021, 6:12:52 AM4/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

Have you had a look at the Line in & Recordings page - link - on the web site?

I assume you are using the 'Get Recordings' command to transfer the files from the SD Card to the HDD? Also when transferred the files are called 'Recording 1', Recording 2. etc and listed under 'unknown' Artist.

Paul
Brennan Support.

steve morley

Apr 24, 2021, 12:09:48 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
I thought I had resolved this. I didn't know about the 'Get Recordings' function. I used this and then renamed the recordings, and they played back OK. But now they have disappeared again! What is going on?

Daniel Taylor

Apr 24, 2021, 2:03:03 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
It doesn't hurt to run the Scan Disk command after any moving or renaming of tracks.

steve morley

Apr 24, 2021, 4:38:53 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
I have over 17,200 tracks on my B2. I don't know how long it would take to run a scan disk on all of these, but I guess it would take the best part of a day. So it wouldn't really be feasible to do this every time I wanted to record or rename anything. One of the reason I bought the B2 was because of the recording facility. I guess I am not doing something right, but I don't know what it is.

Fred Waltman

Apr 24, 2021, 5:06:58 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
For me, the Scan Disk runs pretty quickly -- I have ~9000 tracks and it takes a few minutes -- like 2 or 3. I will time it next time I run it.

I run it every time I transfer files via NAS and/or upload a new playlist (I make playlists on my Mac and copy them over)

Fred
(the newbie one)

Daniel Taylor

Apr 24, 2021, 5:37:15 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
It won't take all day.  I'd guess it would be under an hour.  Maybe Peter can estimate better than that.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2021, 5:47:52 PM4/24/21
to Brennan Forum
a.JPG
Just times mine 30K tracks in about 7 mins for a "Scan Disk". I suspect that for you this will take about 3.5 mins.
Stephen , let me impress on you that your B2 CAN NOT work properly if its index of the contents of the HDD is not up to date. You MUST dos a "Scan Disk" after having made changes to the contents of your music collection.

Fred

steve morley

Apr 25, 2021, 6:53:27 AM4/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for all the replies. The scan disk does seem to have done the job, the recording has been saved. I don't know what happened when I pressed 'scan disk' before because it was going through every track and taking about 30 seconds per track - hence my estimate of taking the best part of a day.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2021, 6:59:01 PM4/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Pleased you are now sorted.
Fred.

steve morley

Apr 26, 2021, 9:42:12 AM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Well, I thought I was sorted Fred, but it is still playing tricks.  The recordings - having scanned disk, got recordings and renamed them -  then still disappear after a short time. At first they are there, and I can play them back. But when I try to find them again -whatever search method I try - they aren't there. So, there is still something amiss.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 26, 2021, 9:45:17 AM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
You said you did things in this order:  " scanned disk, got recordings and renamed the."

After renaming, you must run Scan Disk again.

steve morley

Apr 26, 2021, 2:34:29 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I have done this Daniel, but it is still happening. I am selecting aux in, record, scan disk, get recordings, rename, scan disk. It shows up and plays, but then disappears as soon as I select something else.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 26, 2021, 7:26:18 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Where does it disappear from?  In the original WebUI, the center column is either all artists or all album, depending on what you select.  But the right column shows the albums for a selected artist, and the tracks for a selected album.  So once you select a new artist or album, you won't see the previous selection in the right column anymore.  But you probably already knew that.  I'm just trying to understand how the newly recorded album disappears.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2021, 8:29:32 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Just to be sure we are on the same page here
If you are recording though the Aux In, the recordings are made to the SD Card.
see
a.JPG
I assume you are doing this after making the radio recording ?
then a rename and Scan disk?

Fred

PMB

Apr 27, 2021, 5:11:39 AM4/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Stephe...,

You don't need to run Scan Disk after switching from Aux In to HDD, do 'Get Recordings' first, rename and then run Scan Disk if they are not shown automatically.

What do you rename them to - give an example?

Paul
Brennan Support.

steve morley

Apr 28, 2021, 5:55:18 AM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Well, I have been experimenting to see what might be happening.  The recordings are still disappearing.  I am following the instructions that have been suggested, and I think what is happening is that the recordings only allow for two. Whenever I add a third one of them disappears after switching the B2 off and on (out of three the middle one disapperared).  I am naming the recordings each jrr (jazz record requests) and then an individual name, eg annie whitehead.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 28, 2021, 10:24:14 AM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
As long as each "album" recording is given its own unique name, then they should all remain resident and available for play.  The "Artist" level name can be the same (jrr), but then the "Album" level name must be different.  Or, the Artist level names can be different.

PMB

Apr 29, 2021, 3:46:32 AM4/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Stephe,

Can you confirm the sequence you are using -

Are you making several recordings, then using 'Get Recordings' and find some are missing, etc? It's possible that your SD Card (where the recordings are temporarily stored) may be getting full.

What happens if you make one recording >> then Get Recordings >> rename it - is it listed correctly - does it stay listed?

Paul
Brennan Support.

steve morley

Apr 29, 2021, 5:01:48 AM4/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, I seem to have resolved the problem now.  I am doing as Daniel (and others?) suggests and renaming the album and not just the individual tracks. So far this has done the trick and I have managed to record 4 programmes without any disappearing. I realise now that it is when recordings are left under the heading 'recordings' in the album folder that they get overwritten.

Thanks again for the responses to this issue.

Steve

PMB

Apr 30, 2021, 2:32:24 AM4/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Paul
Brennan Support.