CDs not in the database

haye...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2021, 5:20:54 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I've got a B2 that's about 5 years old with aound 3000 albums on it. I'm currently adding to that at about 200 a year.

Increasingly I'm finding that very few of the albums I rip are on the database. This applies to old ones, new ones, wierd ones, hits...no apparent rhyme or reason. Seems to have fallen to 50% or less hit rate.

Is this something others are experiencing and, is there a fix out there?

Thanks in advance
Ian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2021, 5:39:04 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Is you B2 connected to the Internet and is its software Up to Date?
The original CD database is no longer being maintained by the provider and Brennan switched to the "Muzicbrains" (I spelt that wrong) DB which is online
The Old DB is still there and it sometimes helps to use the command to download this to the B2.
Many of us find ripping to a PC first then moving the files to the B2 is a better path.

Fred

PMB

Dec 1, 2021, 6:31:50 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

If you haven't updated the software recently then your B2 probably isn't accessing the online CD database from MusicBrainz. So try running Web Upgrade - Settings menu. If the B2 refuses to update let us know.

You can also load the 'old' CD database by running 'Get mydb' - Maintenance menu, which may help with older CDs.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Charles Stevens

Dec 1, 2021, 12:17:50 PM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I sometimes see the same problem - I can go to the musicbrainz site and find the CD listed, but the B2 does not pick it up. I often see this on multi-CD sets where one of the CDs is not found, while the rest are found. This does seem like a bug to me

Les Stanley

Dec 1, 2021, 3:57:48 PM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I've been having this problem for a while. I usually just manually enter the information.
I checked a couple of recent purchases, which the B2 did not find, directly on MusicBrainz and they are there.

So I would say something is amiss.

AJ

Dec 1, 2021, 4:59:56 PM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
It may be that although the album is on MusicBrainz it may not have a disc id (or the right disc id) and therefore it is not possible to look it up automatically, unfortunately this is not uncommon.

See this post for more details.

haye...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2021, 7:15:25 AM12/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the answers. I do web updates pretty regularly and am definitely using MusicBrainz. Haven't thought of checking the database separately.

I'm a Discogs user and virtually all the albums are on their database but clearly the information isn't transferable.

Recent example "Let's have a Doo Wop Christmas"..... 30 tracks to input manually. Takes some of the pleasure out of using B2.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 4, 2021, 7:36:48 AM12/4/21
to Brennan Forum
On those occasions when the B2 cannot find the album info from the database it uses, you might find it more convenient to rip the CD on your computer using a program such as dBpoweramp CD Ripper.  Using that program,  I've had a high success rate finding the album info.  Then you can Import the music onto the B2.  It is much faster than having to type all the info in manually.  However, although dBpoweramp uses several different databases, even it comes up empty once in awhile.

JFBUK

Dec 4, 2021, 8:46:02 AM12/4/21
to Brennan Forum
To add to what Daniel said about dBpoweramp, it also has the functionality to manually import track information by copy and pasting a Discogs URL for the album you are ripping.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 134444.jpg

John

Daniel Taylor

Dec 4, 2021, 9:02:45 AM12/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, John.
That's a nice tip.  I never knew that.  I hope I can remember it the next time dBp comes up empty.

JFBUK

Dec 4, 2021, 9:12:13 AM12/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

I should have added that you just need to be careful with what you select from the Discogs URL .

Discogs changed the URL format a few months ago so you now need to just copy a partial URL to get it to work.
dBpoweramp has not updated their code yet

e.g.  if this is the whole  URL

You just copy  the first part up to and including the Discogs unique catalog number

haye...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 7:04:10 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try, though they may be beyond my capabilities!

PMB

Dec 6, 2021, 7:56:57 AM12/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi haye...,

You can look the album up on Discogs - to get the track listing - and then copy and paste the track info into the track edit box on the B2's web UI. Saves some typing.....

Paul
Brennan Support.