CD's Won't rip on B2

Steve Russ

Apr 5, 2022, 6:00:40 PM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello Everyone,

I'm having trouble ripping a few CD's.

When inserted into the B2's CD, the disc is not recognized, or in another case is recognized but will not rip. I'm not sure if this is a copy protection issue or if there is content on the CD's that the B2 doesn't recognize. I do not believe any of these has DVD content.  Here are the CD's.

  1. Los Lobos, Will the Wolf Survive
  2. Tab Benoit, What I Live For
  3. Greg Lake,  The anthology: a musical journey
Numbers 2 and 3 were able to be ripped on my computer running Win 10. Those ripped discs do not read in the B2.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Ray Dion

Apr 5, 2022, 6:39:22 PM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Steve,
I have add similar issues (rarely) but found that sometimes the CDs have issues with them. Sometimes a light cleaning was all that was needed. If you can rip them on the computer then I would put them in the appropriate directory structure on a FAT32 formatted memory stick and import them into the B2. In the end, don't care where I get the data from. Ask for more detail if you need it. Windows Media Player was all I used. There are good free and paid tools out there too.

You don't mention what your computer thought of Disc 1.
CD players will play over bad data more readily than computers or the B2 (which is a linux computer) will accept. They might even sound just fine with the errors.

Not sure where you are in the creation process. When I started I knew I had over 800 CDs. I purchased an USB CD drive since I would put so much through it. It was driven by two things. It was faster because the load/unload and the drive itself. The second was that I will have the B2 for a very long time (my Jukeboxes are 30 years old) so I did not want to put undo wear and tear on it in the first few months. A different CD drive might solve the issue as well.

Ray

Steve Russ

Apr 5, 2022, 11:22:27 PM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Ray,

The discs were all pretty much in perfect condition. Disc 1 (Los Lobos) would not copy on my computer either, so I assume that was a copy protection issue. I'm at 500+ discs so my entire collection is already on the B2, now I just add what I borrow from friends etc. I will try to add the offending CD's to the B2 HDD as you suggest after I load the WAV files onto a FAT32 memory stick. I'm using Windows Media Player BTW.

Thanks so much for your input here. Great community on this board.

Steve

Ray Dion

Apr 6, 2022, 4:44:20 AM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Great. They don't have to be wav files. Windows Media Player actually creates the same level 5 FLAC file that the B2 does. You don't lose anything that way. Your friends could rip on their machine and send you the files :-)  WMP also adds some better tags.

yes it does sound like a copyright on that disk. I think I had one in my collection as well. I tried the B2, computer with multiple programs. I think it was the dBpoweramp program that actually told me that was the issue. Can't remember exactly.

I have experience the cleaning and poor CDs because the wife just throws them around her car, parked in the sun all day with the windows closed. Some were so bad they did not work anywhere but she never throws stuff away.

Ray

JFBUK

Apr 6, 2022, 6:40:03 AM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Steve,

when you say

Numbers 2 and 3 were able to be ripped on my computer running Win 10. Those ripped discs do not read in the B2.

what software did you rip the CDs with and when you looked at the ripped files on your PC what format are they in ?

John

Steve Russ

Apr 6, 2022, 11:53:15 AM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Ray,
I ripped the offending 2 discs to wav files on my win 10 computer and uploaded those files to the B2 without issue, so that worked great.

John,
 the ripped CD's were ripped on Windows Media Player as wav files and the B2 still would not recognize them.

Anyway, the solution for me was easy, just rip to wav or flac on my computer and upload from a memory stick from USB C to the B2

Thank you everyone!