B2 Won't Power Up

Steve Russ

Apr 10, 2022, 2:38:56 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
So I just moved my B2 from my entertainment area to a spot by my computer where I plugged in my backup drive to USB C. Upon moving it back to my entertainment center the B2 will not power up. I tested the power supply and it's working. I get nothing from the B2, no display or LED at the optical output.

My B2 is still under warranty and it was just backed up, so I'm not too concerned with losing anything, but I can't understand what could have happened?

Thanks
Steve

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2022, 3:17:48 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
I know it sound foolish, but please try

1) are all the plugs in tight wall, power brick sockets, B2.
2) is the B2 switched on at the rear switch.
3) try everething in another wall socket.

Fred

Steve Russ

Apr 10, 2022, 5:44:34 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Good points Fred, but just to be clear, I tested the power supply with a DMM and it outputs correctly. Plugging that verified operational power supply into my B2 yields nothing...

Wondering...is there an internal fuse? If the micro SD card pops out, will the B2 do anything when powered up?

Thanks

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2022, 6:15:29 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Ok , yes without the SD Card in it would not boot. You could check that .... To two screws at the top back and ease the back and attached PCB out no more than 1.5 inches.
As there is no internal power supply I do not think there is an internal fuse.

Fred

PMB

Apr 11, 2022, 4:26:54 AM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve...,

It sounds like an internal power component has failed. I think the red LED (and possibly the green one too) on the B2 will light, even without the SD Card.

Please email us on -  thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem and let us know when and where you bought the B2 from.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Apr 11, 2022, 4:30:59 AM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

There is a power regulator circuit inside the B2; this reduces the 24 volts down to 5 volts for the Ras-Pi unit.  The 5 volt regulator chip might have failed.  It is located on the daughter board, a 3 pin chip standing upright with a small built in heat sink.

Regards,
Peter

Steve Russ

Apr 11, 2022, 10:45:42 AM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello Everyone,

The B2 is completely dead when I attempt to power it up. Nothing, no lights. I did check and the micro SD is still securely mounted. I also checked the board where the power connector mounts is getting 24V so it's likely a downstream component has failed. My B2 was purchased Dec 2021. I emailed Brennan support with all that info last night.  Pending that reply, I expect I'll be sending this one in for repair/exchange.

Thanks, everyone for your help. I'll update this thread once I have a resolution.

Steve

Philip Davies

Apr 11, 2022, 12:31:27 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
As a support engineer who supports an entirely different product, I hear this comment very often.   switched mode PSU are prone to failing in a way that means they give the right voltage when you apply a DVM to them but when you put them under load they simply cant supply any current so the voltage drops off.   You really do need to test these PSU under load. this is not to say that any of the other comments about internal PSU are wrong just that testing with a DVM is not 100% reliable unless the PSU is under load at the time.

Phil

Daniel Taylor

Apr 11, 2022, 3:00:29 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
So, Peter, based on what Phil just shared with us, be sure and include your power supply when you send in the B2 for repair.