BBC Sounds

Bernard Longden

Jan 22, 2021, 8:49:54 AM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
I am sure there is an existing clear answer from within the forum membership to my request about how to set up BBC Sounds as a stored link within B2?

Mark Fishman

Jan 22, 2021, 11:04:50 AM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
"BBC Sounds" refers to an awful lot of stuff, at least that's the impression I get from listening to BBC Radio 3, 4, and 4Extra, and also from looking at their website. In addition to the programming, there's also an app that I think they call "BBC Sounds". Basically it seems to be a catch-all term for access to all the content that is available for after-the-fact streaming.

Could you make your question a little narrower and more specific?

Mark Fishman

Jan 22, 2021, 11:39:07 AM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
I have received this directly:
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM Bernard Longden <bernard...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hope this clarifies
BBC Sounds is a streaming media and audio download service from the BBC that includes live radio broadcasts, audio on demand, and podcasts.

So I'm going to have to make a few assumptions.
BBC live radio broadcasts are already available through the internet-radio aggregator(s) used by the B2. We must, therefore, be talking about the on-demand audio and podcasts. I, personally, have not found a way to listen to podcasts on my B2 -- perhaps someone else reading this can help? Also there seems to be a "podcast" label available for tagging these postings, so perhaps a search for that would turn up something useful.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but at least we have narrowed the problem.

-- m.

Mike W

Jan 22, 2021, 11:39:47 AM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
I have listened to some podcasts from bbc sounds.

Using my pc ui, goto the youtube tab, type in "bbc sounds podcast" in the search field. There will a list of some that you can choose from or add something else at the end of the search criteria such as "bbc sounds podcast peter crouch"

Mike

Daniel Taylor

Jan 22, 2021, 5:24:27 PM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Mike W,
Does it appear that those podcasts you've found are posted on YouTube?  Or do they appear to be coming from some other website?

David Kemp

Jan 22, 2021, 5:41:49 PM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
These are BBC Sounds items available on YouTube. I think it is impossible to get a streaming service such as BBC Sounds via Brennan B2.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 22, 2021, 7:55:59 PM1/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Then it appears that this should be treated as a YouTube problem, and not a podcast problem.

Bernard Longden

Jan 23, 2021, 10:14:44 AM1/23/21
to Brennan Forum
On reflection I think you are right. Sounds is a mixture of video and audio not in real time but streamed from live broadcast. Thanks

Mike W

Jan 23, 2021, 10:55:05 AM1/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel, yes I think they are on youtube, I've always managed to find all the bbc sounds podcasts that I wanted to listen to this way. If you want the live bits then just use vtuner to access them,

Regards
Mike

hbu...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2021, 10:43:44 AM1/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Many places on BBC sounds allow you to download a podcast. I'm talking radio here. Fairly trivial to upload that to B2 if you wish.

hbu...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2021, 10:51:41 AM1/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, I've just done it for a 120min news programme and I'm listening to it now.

Goto BBC Sounds Website, find programme website, find programme episode, download podcast, if it's a long name- rename to a short name, upload to Brennan- specifying suitable names for Artist, Album and choose file.

Graham Smout

Jan 24, 2021, 11:53:47 AM1/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi - to add my two pen'orth to the discussion, adding BBC Sounds as an app to the B2 would be  a great addition, but there are a couple of work arounds you could use instead.
1) Open the BBC sounds app on your smart phone or tablet and then switch the B2 to its Bluetooth inputand pair your deveice with the B2  . However, Bluetooth has only a very short physical transmission  range and it doesn't pass through solid walls or even furniture. Ideally the B2 needs to be within 20 feet line of sight for Bluetooth to function.

2) Buy a Chromecast Audio - a small £30 Google device ( now no longer in production - but still available on a well known on line auction site ) and plug it into the B2 Aux input . The  stream signals via WiFI from the Smart deveice to the B2 . The audio qaulity will be a lot better with full frequency response and wiFI has a much better transmission range and penetration than Bluetooth. If you have a digital amp the Chromecast Audio has an optical output

On a separate point : the B2 has a good optical didgital output, but no optical input.

Might this be a worthwhile future development if the capacity to do this exists in the Raspberry Pi?