Just "Tinkering" with one of my B2s

Zappolli

Feb 2, 2020, 7:24:31 PM2/2/20
to Brennan Forum
So upgrading the hard drive from 500gb to 2tb turned out to go very well. Setting it up to work off the HDMI cable stumped me until I found out I had a bad cable. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Raspberry Pi emblem and code scrolling on the tv screen as the music played. Not that it needs it, but I have an Asus Tinker Board that has the same footprint and is supposed to be patterned after the Raspberry Pi so I thought I'd try a direct swap. I swapped it and installed the sd card. Unfortunately, I get no display and the green/red lights just continue flashing. I didn't think it would be that easy. I put everything back together and it all works. I'll play with it more as time permits.

L Ahlberg

Feb 3, 2020, 3:51:00 AM2/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Interesting Zappolli. Please let us know when you managed to get the Album cover art on your TV screen.
I would love to be able to do that.

Lennart

PMB

Feb 3, 2020, 4:45:28 AM2/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Lennart,

The TV interface was originally intended as a debug screen. However there is 'TV UI' option in the Advanced menu which needs to be turned on to see the Album art and track name. Please note it's by no means a fully fledged UI.

Paul
Brennan Support.

L Ahlberg

Feb 4, 2020, 5:35:15 AM2/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hej Paul,

and thank you. It works, After connecting B2 to my TV via the HDMI output I can see
the Album art from the CD that I play. The sound I can get from where I want to get it
from, from the TV or my HiFi but it must come from the B2 Line out.

As you say it's no full UI but maybe it's a first step towards one and who knows. Maybe
it will be one someday.

Is it technically possible to build a full TV-UI for the B2?

Lennart

Daniel Taylor

Feb 4, 2020, 9:22:18 AM2/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Displaying things on the TV via HDMI is not too difficult.  But getting input, say from the TV's remote control, back to the B2 involves considerably more effort.  The main problem I can see is that various brands of TVs use different IR codes for their remotes.  So to be able to handle all the permutations of codes is probably not something that we'll see any time soon.

OTOH, the WebUI is really nice.  If your smart TV has a web browser, that might do the trick.  Worth a try.

L Ahlberg

Feb 4, 2020, 3:25:48 PM2/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Daniel

Our TV is, I think at least eight years old, and not so smart I'm afraid,
about as smart as I am who cannot even find the Owners manual but
that'm is maybe because I'm not the owner. Tomorrow I*ll ask the owner
who has already gone to bed.

Via the Meny button I can see the word Network but there it ends.

Lennart