hiya newbie here

Mikki Mason

Sep 18, 2021, 12:45:29 PM9/18/21
to Brennan Forum
have had my jb7 for years never had any bother with it, been wanting to get the b2 for a while, so finally, ive got one ordered from audiotech. Because of the difference in price, i felt it would be silly not to just get the 2tb model, is there any thing i should know bout this before it gets delivered

harlond57

Sep 18, 2021, 12:49:46 PM9/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, although I got mine solely for the purpose of housing my existing collection, I've probably ordered 100 new CDs since I started using it.  I blame Martin.

Also, put it near your router.

Davywhizz

Sep 18, 2021, 1:11:34 PM9/18/21
to Brennan Forum
I was the same. I got the 480GB model to house the same 650 CDs I'd had for years, never expecting to buy another 200 since then. It's holding up well though: 850 discs loaded in FLAC, but probably room for another 300. Very wise to go for 2tb just in case.

Make sure you have a strong wifi signal, whatever it takes. A lot of the reported B2 problems seem to be the result of poor signal.

Don't ask the B2 to do more than one thing at a time and always stop and save before switching off. Remember it's a computer.

Be prepared to do some homework on the B2 instructions on the website. Most issues are covered there. If not, this forum will help.

Gary Thornton

Sep 19, 2021, 7:51:39 AM9/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Same story here.  I upgraded from a 12 year old JB7 (which had run out of disk space) to a 2TB B2 a few months ago.  It's a real step up, and I'm really pleased with it, but I learned a few lessons on the way:

- Backing up the JB7 took 5 days, and still hadn't finished when we had a power cut, so I gave up.  Fortunately I had an external HD back up, so I copied that in manageable chunks to a 250GB FAT32 drive, and imported the files from that.   Took about 24 hours to migrate 7,000 albums

-  If you have an external HD, it's worth spending time organising files on this before importing anything to the B2.  The B2 organises files as artist/album, and my HD was organised only by album, so I had to create new folders for each artist, and move the albums into each artist folder (otherwise I was ending up with lots of "unknown" artists).

- CDs originally ripped on the JB7 didn't have track numbers.  When those albums were copied to the B2 the tracks appeared (and played) in alphabetical order.  I used Mp3tag to add missing track numbers to every filename before importing those albums to the B2.

- The wi-fi signal (even with the router in the next room) was far too weak, and trying to use the Web UI was either very slow or kept dropping the connection altogether.   I was hesitant about dismantling an expensive brand new bit of kit, but it seemed easy enough to do, so I took the back off and fitted an ethernet cable wired into a TP-Link powerline unit, with another powerline unit wired to the router.  Works perfectly all the time, and scrolling through 2,000 artists on the Web UI  is seamless.

I've also added a few hundred albums (all FLAC) since, and still have just over 1TB free, so plenty of space left to expand.

Jeff. M.

Sep 19, 2021, 10:48:23 AM9/19/21
to Brennan Forum
I use power line connectors for my B2 as well, work really well, most of the time. I also have a Google Chromecast audio connected to my amp which sits on the B2, the signal to it via WiFi always works really well, so I tend to use it for Spotify, bypassing my B2.