Using NAS to drive sonos

Alan Gough

Dec 5, 2020, 7:24:19 AM12/5/20
to Brennan Forum
This question may be superseded by the new way to drive Sonos from B2.

I ripped a box set of 4 CDs. No data for any of them, so they became 607, 608, 609, 610 on B2.  I renamed all 4, with artist and album name, the first track and a track midway through for each album. This all looks fine on the B2 WUI. If I have to type in the data, I leave the original number at the end of the album name, because I have had issues before, and it shows me which album data has been entered manually.

A scheduled update added them to the Sonos lists. The albums on Sonos retain the labels 607, 608, 609, with the tracks named 'track 1' etc. On the other hand, 610 has its full title and track names.

The only thing I can think of that might be different, is that the compression to FLAC may, or may not, have happened before or after the Sonos identified them in the NAS.

This was done on the previous software, B2 Oct 23 2020, but similar problems have existed for a while. I have several CDs that just have a number of the Sonos, instead of the album title. About 25 to 30 % of my collection has had manual data entry, but this is the best example I have of the titles being different.

This seems to be different to the 'tagging' issues, which I am aware of, as it means the Sonos listings are more than not quite the same as the B2.
Cheers, Alan

Daniel Taylor

Dec 5, 2020, 2:45:30 PM12/5/20
to Brennan Forum
When you edit the names of artists, albums, and tracks on the B2, that only effects the folder names and filenames, it does not have any effect on the tags.  Sonos uses the tags.

Alan Gough

Dec 6, 2020, 7:27:06 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
I know about tags, I have lots of tracks on Sonos that are by 'some artist', and other examples. of why Sonos lists them in a different way. I have similar issues with the music player in the car, which uses FLAC files on my phone ripped on a B2

However, your answer seems to me to be too simplistic. I went into some detail in the original post because I ripped a box set of 4 CDs, and 3 of them retain the numbers that they were allocated when ripped, but one of them has the B2 edited name and artist on Sonos. Also , on Sonos, three of the CDs retain the 'track 1' type text, but the one that has the correct name and artist, also shows the track names as I edited them on B2.

This is why I think this problem has been ignored because it is assumed it is 'Sonos uses tags' issue.

Cheers, Alan

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 7:47:48 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Alan,

I am confused here, you said that " This all looks fine on the B2 WUI"  - does this mean that you are happy with the way the Brennan unit is storing & presenting the 4 CDs that you ripped?
If so then in the Brennan system, the Brennan unit has done its job OK.  Brennan say openly that they do not deal with tags (the tagging ability is marked as experimental and in my view it does not work yet).
Therefore the issue is with the Sonos system/environment not the Brennan.
When I look at my Brennan NAS through Sonos id do so thus
Music Library > Folders > //BRENNANB2/music  (and open this)
which shows me all my Brennan folders as displayed on the Brennan WUI eg
a.JPG

If I then open say ABBA I gt all the ABBA CDs I have ripped as folders and on clicking on one of these I see all the tracks.

Thus for me there is a one to one equivalent of the  Brennan interface and an aspect of the Sonos interface.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Dec 6, 2020, 2:12:00 PM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
The only way you can know that it's not a tagging problem is to look at the actual tags for an album of concern and see that they are correct.  The only ways that I know of for a program to obtain the information is from the folder name, the track name, and the specific tag fields that can contain the respective names.  What else is there?

PMB

Dec 7, 2020, 4:22:41 AM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Alan,

Try 'Retag Album' - Album menu (you'll need to use the front controls to do this) on the B2 for Album 607, 608 or 609 and see if the Sonos then displays the correct info. You will need to refresh the Sonos Libraries.

Alternatively use the new Sonos feature on the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.