compressing flac to mp3 at Backup

Denzil Morgan

Jun 7, 2019, 7:09:28 AM6/7/19
to Brennan Forum
I have ripped my music collection to the b2 in FLAC format (as recommended) and used up around 450Gb. I would now like to be able to transfer all of my collection onto my Sony Walkman (max capacity 256Gb SD card). I therefore need to compress the FLAC files to mp3 at the point of 'Backup'. I remember reading somewhere that this 'auto compression' was on the 'shopping list' for future developments.....is this coming anytime soon?
Surely I can't be the only customer who would find this feature extremely helpful?
Thanks

Daniel Taylor

Jun 7, 2019, 7:51:26 AM6/7/19
to Brennan Forum
I have not heard of this feature being implemented yet.  Although I can appreciate that it would be helpful, the process (for 450GB) would probably take days!

Rather than convert to MP3 on the B2, it would be much easier to convert from your backup drive.  I use dBpoweramp Music Converter, and it allows you to select the MP3 bitrate and to name the destination folder.

If you do not have a backup drive with all your B2 music on it, you're playing with fire.  It's not a question of IF your B2's (or any other) HDD will fail, it's a matter of WHEN.

If you don't have a JB7 where you'd need backward compatibility, use the B2's Export command to do your backup.

Denzil Morgan

Jun 7, 2019, 10:13:51 AM6/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel.....thanks for your reply. Thanks also for the software tip...I'll take a look at that!......and yes I do have a back-up!!