Bad CD drive?

George Grella

Apr 6, 2022, 12:05:33 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
I'm having multiple, accumulating problems with the CD drive on my B2, and I'm trying to troubleshoot everything and have run out of options, so am looking for other suggestions. Here's a narrative of what's been happening (not I have only been using it for ripping, have not played any CDs via this drive):
  • Loaded CD, drive worked than failed to read that a CD was inside. Did the trick of holding it vertically and turning it off and on. This happened a few times then drive accepted a run of CDs without issues.
  • Drive very noisy with CD inside. Lots of mechanical noises while accepting and ripping CD.
  • Incomplete ripping. Drive stopped completing rips and would discharge CD with Incomplete message. This happened five times in a row.
  • Reset CD drive via the Settings->Maintenance->Advanced menu.
  • Loaded another CD. Normal noises as drive accepted it, then all noise, etc stopped. Brennan shows "Ready" message and nothing else, no ripping, no access to panel selections via knob, etc. In complete Ready stasis with CD inside. Web interface shows "CD Loading" and front panel light blinking red.
  • Many minutes later, B2 ejects CD and restarts.
  • Drive loads and rips 2 CDs
  • On third CD, drive spins up and down several times, then stops and display remains at Loading CD a few minutes, then display returns to date and time and shows message CD Empty even though there is a CD in the drive, so back to the initial problem.
To eliminate wasting time on one issue: all the CDs are fine. I can play them on my CD player and rip them into my computer, so it's not the CDs. All evidence is that the drive is having problems, and I want to determine if these are mechanical issues.

B2 stats:

Software Version B2B Mar 10 2022 10:05:42

3511 tracks in 257 albums 104 artists

149 WAV 3312 FLAC 23 MP3 26 AAC

Capacity 2000.00G Used 97.50Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

0 Youtubes

TIA

-gg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 12:52:13 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
If your B2 is new, it is possible that you have one of the defective batch of CD drives that Brennan were supplied with.
Can you tell us how long you have had the B2?
If this is the case Brennan (Paul (PMB)) will pick this up in the morning and tell you what to to to get the problem sorted.

Fred

George Grella

Apr 6, 2022, 1:36:16 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Fred:

Not sure if this is new—it is a refurbished model that I got last fall that replaced a previous refurbished model that had issues with overlaying digital noise on every kind of media that was playing, so it's probably not "new" new.

I've actually been only using it the last couple of weeks. When I first got it, I turned it on and imported the backup from the previous B2 drive, made sure that stuff could play, then had to pack it away for a move. So it's essentially new to me, though not brand new or 2022 manufacture.

-gg

Daniel Taylor

Apr 6, 2022, 3:49:47 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
That's gotta be a bad drive.  Probably came from the batch of bad drives that came in that same timeframe.  Even if it's not from that batch, it needs to be replaced.  I'm sure Paul will tell you to send an email to thebrennanb2 @ gmail . com (no spaces) and explain the situation.  If you would send it in for replacing the drive, they will tell you where to send it.  But I think you'll have the option to have them send you a new CD drive which you can replace yourself.  It's a lot easiery than it might seem.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 4:07:01 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes,

I agree with Daniel, while I am no expert, it looks to me like a bad CD unit (it was not just Brennan that got provided with bad stock from China).
As this is a refurbished unit (from Audiotech?) I would go back to the vendor about this (it is not Brennan's problem in this circumstance).

Please don't blame the supplier too much for this, the pandemic has caused quality and supply issues which are hard to address. Apart from a couple of custom PCBs, the Brennan units are built from "off the shelf", third party PC components and it is
the quality of one of these that is causing issues.

Fred

PMB

Apr 7, 2022, 2:58:09 AM4/7/22
to Brennan Forum