Noise between tracks

steven hudson

Feb 18, 2019, 5:01:31 AM2/18/19
to Brennan Forum
I received my Brennan B2 on Friday afternoon and I've been enjoying listening to a lot of CD's that I haven't heard in years.

However, I've noticed that when my B2 has been playing music for a couple of hours, I begin to get noise between tracks.
It's quite subtle and noticeable on fades and quiet sections.
The noise itself is like a light static/hiss.

A quick turn off from the back of the B2 or via the plug, gets rid of the problem and I'm noise free again for a couple of hours.

At first I thought it was my FLAC files (I'm using dbpoweramp to rip my CD's).
It was only when I tested the files, that I realised that they were ok and turning the machine on and off temporarily solved the problem.

Is this a fault that anyone else has come across? Will a software (firmware) update put it right or is it just a case that I have a faulty machine.

Thank you for any help and opinions on this subject.

PMB

Feb 19, 2019, 3:42:04 AM2/19/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steven,

This is not a 'known' issue so may indicate a hardware fault - something warming up, etc - rather than a software one.

I believe I have replied to you by email about this issue.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Tellett

Feb 19, 2019, 5:14:01 PM2/19/19
to Brennan Forum
Try a reboot. I have heard hissing on one channel once or twice. A reboot sorts it, but I’ve no idea why!

David Tellett

Feb 19, 2019, 5:14:55 PM2/19/19
to Brennan Forum
Sorry, I meant scan disk and reboot.

steven hudson

Feb 20, 2019, 7:36:37 AM2/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi David.

I've tried scan disk and after a reboot, the problem temporarily disappears.

I'm back home from Friday and I'm going to test how long it takes for the fault to appear.

Thank you for your info/input though.

Brian R

Feb 20, 2019, 10:34:24 AM2/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steven

There are a couple of things you can do to help track down the source of the noise.

First try temporarily covering the ventilation holes on the top of the B2. If the fault lies in a component in the B2 then the hiss/static sound should appear quicker (it sounds like something temperature related) This would tie the problem to the B2 itself.

If this doesn't happen then try moving the power supply brick and its cables as far as you can from the B2  (cable permitting) See if this has any effect on the hiss/static, interference from faulty switch mode power supplies is not uncommon.

Brian

steven hudson

Feb 20, 2019, 2:25:53 PM2/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Brian, I'll try that first thing Friday when I get home from work.

PMB

Feb 21, 2019, 4:13:05 AM2/21/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steven,

I meant to ask how you have your B2 setup i.e. loudspeakers connected to the B2, Line or Optical out connected to an external amplifier, etc?

Paul
Brennan Support.

steven hudson

Feb 21, 2019, 4:39:46 AM2/21/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul.

I've only got two small speakers connected to my B2 and the WiFi module.

I bought the Bluetooth module when I purchased the B2, but I haven't tried it yet as I have several Amazon Echo Plusses that I currently use for that.

steven hudson

Feb 24, 2019, 9:04:41 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
I got home from work on Friday afternoon and changed the position of my B2. It now sits on top of my favourite CD deck.

I played the B2 all Friday afternoon and Saturday with no white noise/hiss in between tracks and wondered if it was due to the new positioning of the B2 (no nearby interference).

However when I got up Sunday morning to play the B2, I started to get crackling noises when I skipped the track forward and back. At one point, a track actually stuttered and stopped.

Rather than turn the machine on and off, I removed the speaker leads from the back of the B2, then plugged them back in again.

Hey presto, the machine worked as it should again.

I'm now in quandary about what to do about the B2.
I work long hours as a residential care worker and it's hard to find a weekday when I'm off to have the B2 collected for return and replacement.

Has anyone else had these annoying niggles with their machine?

Other than these problems, it's a brilliant machine.

JAC

Feb 24, 2019, 9:14:09 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
I would suggest that you previously had a slightly intermittent or poor connection to the speaker sockets which you have now cured by removing and reconnecting them.  The B2 has "plain" 4 mm diameter sockets which are compatible with 4mm plugs having a "springy" design to ensure good contact.  Loudspeakers work with appreciable voltages and currents, and are less tolerant of any contact resistance than low level audio connections.

steven hudson

Feb 24, 2019, 10:12:20 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi JAC.
I agree totally with what you said about the speakers. I purposely try not to move the B2 about too much due to the design of the speaker terminals (especially when importing flac rips via the USB port) and would have preferred spring or screw terminals.
However, I don't think they were the cause of the initial hiss/white noise between tracks.
My daughter pointed out to me that at one point, I actually used a line out to a separate amp at one point and she said that the noise was still there until the B2 was turned off and on again.

The crackling noise today when the tracks were skipped were probably caused by poor connection to the speakers as you stated (I was worried that it may have been an electrical fault). I just can't figure out why the music stuttered and stopped though.

PMB

Feb 25, 2019, 6:55:14 AM2/25/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

I have made a note that you have reported issues with your B2 so they are on record. If you decide to return the unit just let us know.

Paul
Brennan Support.

steven hudson

Feb 25, 2019, 6:59:36 AM2/25/19
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Paul

steven hudson

Mar 1, 2019, 1:30:49 PM3/1/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul.

I had a day off today and actually got to use my B2.

After being switched on for several hours (and now being played back through a DAC), the noise came back once again until the B2 was reset.

I'm sorry about the crude recording from my smartphone, but this is an example of the noise.

Kind regards

Steve

1 Mar, 18.21.mp3

PMB

Mar 4, 2019, 3:58:56 AM3/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steven,

Your recording showed the fault perfectly. Not sure the reason but we need to get your unit back for a check and/or repair. Please email us on thenbr...@gmail.com (the  brennan  b2  (at)  gmail  .  com) and we'll send you the returns details.

Paul
Brennan Support.

steven hudson

Mar 4, 2019, 4:48:19 AM3/4/19