Apple Airplay Support

Rob Harriman

Jun 25, 2021, 4:21:14 AM6/25/21
to Brennan Forum

Does anybody know if Airplay support is on the company's 'to-do' list, or whether it has been considered and discounted?
Just wondering, as the current discussions around Sonos have started me thinking about things I could do with my Homepod setup.
Thanks.

Rob

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2021, 5:58:01 AM6/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rob,

I am a customer, not a Brennan employee.
BUT My understanding is that the Apple environment is a closed shop - eg an apple CD player will ONLY work on Apple devices!
Given this and their secret, proprietary, internal standards it is unlikely that any 3rd party will attempt to interface to their products. The Apple business model is that their customers should ONLY use Apple.
( You sound like an attempted escapee :-))    )

Fred

Rob Harriman

Jun 25, 2021, 7:40:09 AM6/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

I know it's a long-shot, but I was just interested in whether it could possibly happen.
Whilst I agree that Apple has its own standards,  is it quite the case that it's not open to working with 3rd-parties to allow their devices to work with it?  You may very well be correct  but I can't really see a reason for it to block an approach from Brennan to support Airplay, should one be forthcoming.  After all it doesn't have a product competing with the B2.  Anyway, not that I have Sonos speaker, but doesn't Sonos already support Airplay, or am I dreaming?
Don't worry, I am not complaining about this lack of connectivity and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it never happens, but I was just asking whether it potentially might.
BTW,  I am not planning any escape just yet:-))

Rob

Daniel Taylor

Jun 25, 2021, 10:12:27 AM6/25/21
to Brennan Forum
I think there are non-Apple devices that support AirPlay.  But I imagine that the licensing fees would be prohibitive for an outfit as small as Brennan.

Rob Harriman

Jun 25, 2021, 11:50:45 AM6/25/21
to Brennan Forum
@Daniel
I totally agree that a number of factors, including license fees, could scuttle any such scenario.
I am not even saying that I think Brennan should consider it.
What I am hoping is that Brennan support can just answer my initial question, i.e.
Is it on the to-do list or has it been discounted?
If I know this, then I can make a sensible decision about going to Sonos or not.
Hopefully they can enlighten us in due course.
Cheers,
Rob

PMB

Jun 29, 2021, 4:51:58 AM6/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Sorry no plans to support Apple Airplay.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Rob Harriman

Jun 29, 2021, 5:07:39 AM6/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update - Much appreciated.

Rob