Upgrading B2 disc drive

Mike Frezon

Mar 21, 2021, 6:26:03 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum

 Hello Brennan forum!  I'm the new owner of a 240GB B2.  My plan was to upgrade the 240GB SSD with a 1TB SSD to accommodate my CD collection.

I decided to install the new drive before I started to rip the collection.  I had ordered a Crucial MX500 1tb SSD.  I had no issue with physically replacing the drive.  Everything went according to plan.  EXCEPT--the drive was not recognized.  The display only showed 6GB.  (For the record, I had powered up the B2 before I replaced drives and it DID show 240GB on the display.)

I re-opened the B2 three times to double-check all the connections and I could find nothing loose.  I was especially certain to make sure there wasn't any glue gumming up the SATA connection.

The SSD never showed up.  I checked for Settings>Maintenance>Format HDD...but it wasn't available.  There was a Reboot HDD and a Repair HDD...but no Format HDD.

So, I am assuming (always a mistake?) that the Crucial SSD was bad.  But I had no way to check it.  I have already ordered a new Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (and am returning the
Crucial drive).

Is there something I'm missing?  On the upside, I am now a skilled B2 technician as I have taken mine apart and put it back together more times than I ever expected I would!  ;o)

Oh.  And when I put the 240GB WD Green SSD (that came with the unit) back inside, the drive registered on the display as 240GB.

I hope there is an easy explanation.  My new Samsung drive will arrive on Tuesday.

Thanks!

john.h...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2021, 6:32:57 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum

Just upgraded mine.  The 6gb shown is the SD card which it will.switch to

Use settings maintenance advanced then format HDD

Then when done settings maintenance switch to hd and then reboot

John

Mike Frezon

Mar 21, 2021, 6:38:19 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
But there was NO "Format HDD" command under Settings>Maintenance.

I looked.  SEVERAL times!

john.h...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2021, 6:52:59 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Settings maintenance advanced then format HDD it's in the advanced sub menu to prevent accidental use

Warren Knauer

Mar 21, 2021, 7:37:44 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Mike, You must have a large collection.  So far, I have ripped:

Software Version B2B Mar 1 2021 10:25:35

6596 tracks in 513 albums 206 artists

0 WAV 6583 FLAC 13 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 160.34Gb

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2021, 8:41:16 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Mike

After installing the new internal SSD, power up the B2 and from the front panel and round knob, go
Main Menu  >  Settings  >  Maintenance  > Advanced Menu > Format HDD - Reformats the internal hard disk - everything deleted - you will be asked to confirm. More thorough than delete music - [NB NAS must be stopped first]
When this has completed, power off and reboot.
Your new SSD will then be visible to your B2.

Fred

Mike Frezon

Mar 21, 2021, 11:04:03 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Well...son of a _____________.

The Brennan site very specifically says Settings>Maintenance>Format HDD.  There is never any mention of "Advanced."  While I understand you don't want people to delete their data by accident, why would you tell people that something can be done THIS WAY and then actually have it be a DIFFERENT WAY?!?  Grrrrrr.  Now I'm swapping out a new SSD that is probably absolutely fine.  And losing a few days on the project in the process.

If you want to keep people from wrongly deleting their data, how about a simple "Are you sure you want to Format your HDD?" question if people engage that function?

I am one frustrated guy right now.  I spent a couple hours trying to sort that out thru online research and re-opening the unit over and over.  Under Settings, I had found Format USB A, Format USB C, Repair HDD, Reboot HDD...but not the one (Format HDD) that I was looking for.

Anyway, I have now found Settings>Maintenance>Advanced>Format HDD so I'll be all set when the drive arrives.  And I thank you fellas for that.

Here's a couple other questions I couldn't find answers for:  If I have FLAC files I've downloaded from HDTracks.com, can I copy them onto the B2 for playback?  And I have gone ahead and ordered an optical cable (Toslink>minijack) to connect the B2 to my AVR.  Could I have instead used the HDMI jack on the B2?  Just curious.

" Mike, You must have a large collection.  So far, I have ripped:

Software Version B2B Mar 1 2021 10:25:35

6596 tracks in 513 albums 206 artists

0 WAV 6583 FLAC 13 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 160.34Gb"

Yes.  I don't have an exact count today...but I do know that I've got about 700 Christmas CDs.  I've also got an extensive collection of Disney music (theme parks, movies, etc.).  My everyday listening falls across jazz, standards, rock, Broadway, blues, classical, religious...so I've got a varied selection.  Without "genres" in the software I know I'm going to have questions about how you guys make use of playlists to separate out, for example, Christmas music from your regular listening.

480GB might've been enough.  But at today's prices I figured I would be sure to give myself enough headroom with 1TB.

Mike Frezon

Mar 22, 2021, 12:06:46 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
One other thing.  Obviously I've got a big task of CD ripping ahead of me.  I have an external CD/DVD disc drive that I plan on using to help with the ripping process.  What I've read indicates that it will help speed up the ripping process as well as take a lot of strain off the internal drive in the B2.  My plan would be to get the bulk of the ripping done with the external drive and then have a hardly-used internal drive in place for whenever I add more CDs to my collection.  And if the external drive is faster...all the better.

I'm surprised the external drive would be that much faster than the internal cd drive for ripping.

PMB

Mar 22, 2021, 4:32:42 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

We had owners selecting 'Format HDD' and deleing their music collection by mistake, so we moved the command to the Advanced menu so it was harder to find.

Where do you see the reference to Maintenance menu >> Format HDD and I'll get it fixed?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 22, 2021, 6:30:39 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,
Yes, you can Import FLAC files onto the B2.  Just be sure your folder structure maintains the Artist\Album\tracks requirement.

You can also use the HDMI output to connect to your AVR.  A couple of things to note:  To enable the HDMI output, you much check the box for "Audio on HDMI (TV)" in the WebUI.  When HDMI is enabled, all other outputs are disabled.  Sometimes the HDMI handshake does not take place.  In that case, you will have to cycle power on either the AVR or the B2.  Once connected, it should be fine.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2021, 8:02:44 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

I am sorry you have had this upset, but in fairness to Brennan their web site does say
a.JPG

AND as Paul says we here on the forum have had experiences of people "accidently" deleting ALL their music with this command which is why it was moved to Advanced.

Fred.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2021, 8:10:34 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Just as a point of information - i ripped all of my music (650Gb) using the B2's internal CD and had no problem (had my B2 since 2016).
As I understand it the B2's CD reader is just a commercial 3rd party computer unit - it should not be inferior to any other CD reader.
Fred

Mike Frezon

Mar 22, 2021, 2:03:54 PM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
< Where do you see the reference to Maintenance menu >> Format HDD and I'll get it fixed? >

Hey, Paul!  One place of note is on your "Techy Stuff" tab in the left hand column under 'Upgrade HDD."

" You cannot upgrade an SD B2. If you had a 500G B2 say then no problem about opening it up and swapping a bigger drive. You need to do Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD after if its not FAT32"

< Just as a point of information - i ripped all of my music (650Gb) using the B2's internal CD and had no problem (had my B2 since 2016).
As I understand it the B2's CD reader is just a commercial 3rd party computer unit - it should not be inferior to any other CD reader.
Fred>

No harm, no foul.  I just went by this notice on the Ripping/Compression page:

Using an External CD Drive

You can rip CDs using an external USB CD/DVD drive. You just need to plug an external USB drive into USB C and use it as you would the internal drive.

There are a couple of reasons why you might do this.

1) You can rip more quickly with an external drive
2) If you plan to rip a lot of CDs it will save wear and tear on the internal drive

Once I get the new SSD drive installed and get things sorted out, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

In the meantime, thanks for all the help to this point.

Mike

PMB

Mar 23, 2021, 5:41:26 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

I'll get the Techy Stuff page updated, thanks.

I've ripped a modest 700 CDs using the internal CD Drive.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mike Frezon

Mar 23, 2021, 11:40:35 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
I received the new drive and got it installed in record time (Don't forget if you need a unit technician, I might be available!)

B27.jpg

About the external drives, is there anything to the site's suggestions about external rippers?

1) You can rip more quickly with an external drive
2) If you plan to rip a lot of CDs it will save wear and tear on the internal drive

This is pertinent to me because I've got a whole lot of ripping ahead!  ;o)

Mike

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2021, 12:38:21 PM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
See how you get on with the internal CD reader first - no need to spen if you don't have to

PMB

Mar 24, 2021, 5:02:32 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

Any USB2.0 compatible DVD/CD Drive should work OK - steer away from anything that needs a driver loading.

I've tried the ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U with the B2 and the BB1.

Paul
Brennan Support.