1st October 2019 web update.

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 3, 2019, 5:25:33 PM10/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul and Martin. I have just completed the 01/10/2019 web software update.

Great to have the "now playing" window artwork back on the original main web UI. Thanks to John Hunter and yourselves for the fix.

I have a tab on my laptop with the mobile.html UI as well as the orig. main UI.  I decided to check out the new button layout on this, and love the fact that they now don't obscure the album artwork. Thumbs up. This was on my Windows 10 laptop using chrome. However, when I checked it out on my Samsung Galaxy A40, again using Chrome, it still had the buttons over the artwork. Scrap that comment. As I was writing this, a message came in on my phone. I responded to the message and then went back to the mobile UI and it's now as it should be. Weird as I had checked it out several times and every time I opened it, the button still covered the artwork. However now it's working fine. Another thank you and thumbs up. Had screenshots and was going to send them showing the buttons still covering the artwork. Now I don't have to.

Love this wee machine. Keep up the great work.

Just added a screenshot to show the new album by Lari Basilio. If you like your guitar music melodic, jazzy, funky and rocky too. Give her a check out on YouTube.

Screenshot (13).png

PMB

Oct 4, 2019, 4:24:11 AM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the feedback.

The title appears to have a full stop in front - I thought I read somewhere that the B2 wasn't happy with preceding full stops....

Paul
Brennan Support.

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 4, 2019, 6:05:20 AM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Paul, in what way is the B2 not happy with it? Playing wise I have no problem.

I like to see the track number in front of the song title and have edited in a hyphen & space in front of it so the track number shows up in the "now playing window" with the song title. See attached screenshot. Just allows me to see how far I'm through an album with say 20 tracks.

All plays and displays fine the way I want it. It may cause problems if you back up from the B2 using the USB C Export or Back up. I have never used these methods so don't know if there are problems. Most of my music collection was ripped on a PC prior to me getting my B2. So my initial method of transfer was by the B2 upload facility and later using NAS. Now any new music is either ripped or downloaded to my laptop's music folder on the hard drive and is usually edited there before NAS transfer to my B2. At this point, I also copy the edited version to an external portable hard drive. So I have 2 backups of the B2. One on the laptop and one on the portable drive.

They aren't incremental. I just have a set method of Rip or Download to laptop. Edit there, then transfer by NAS to B2, followed by a copy to portable HD. Works well for me.

If I have to reload my collection at any time I will probably do it via NAS in blocks. I'm retired and have the time. I also don't mind tinkering.

If I edit on the B2 it does mean I have to remember to change both the laptop copy and the portable drive backup, but simple enough via NAS. Best to get the editing right on the laptop before B2 upload. My method suits me with my modest music collection of just over 1000 albums and around 11500 tracks. Probably wouldn't for some of you guys out there with huge collections. NAS transfer would probably be way too slow.
Screenshot (14).png

Daniel Taylor

Oct 4, 2019, 10:07:30 AM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Leslie,
Although I'm not entirely certain what Paul means by a "full stop" I suspect he might be referring to the leading decimal point (.) in the track name (". Man In The Mirror") in your first attached picture.  I don't see that in the second attached picture.

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 4, 2019, 4:51:36 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Daniel, the second screenshot (attached) is how I like to edit the song title to show the track number in the "now playing " window as well. The "full stop" or "decimal point" was a mistake in editing, but my question to Paul was " in what way doesn't the B2 like it," as it played ok. Can't remember how I stumbled on this method. A hyphen, then a space before the number shows the track number. A hyphen and no space doesn't. At present, the track numbers show in the RH album window, but not in the now playing window. I suppose Martin could tweak the software to show it, but if it's only my preference, it's wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 4, 2019, 4:53:52 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Oops, didn't attach the screenshot.
Screenshot (14).png

Dennis Lefebvre

Oct 4, 2019, 4:59:12 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 4:51:36 PM UTC-4, Leslie Brownlee wrote:
...." in what way doesn't the B2 like it," ....

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 4, 2019, 6:05:25 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the info Dennis.

Read the thread, and know I have the Phil Collins ...But Seriously album. I had originally ripped it on a PC and transferred it to the B2 and edited to "1989 - But Seriously."

Decided to edit the title back to ...But Seriously to see what happened. Still showed up under Phil Collins on the B2 UI. On my laptop using NAS to show the B2 drive, it showed up with the folder paled out (see attached screenshot). I was still able to open it, and all the tracks and artwork were there. Doubled clicked a track and it opened and played with Windows Media Player. The only thing was the paled out appearance of the folder. Don't know what that means. Edited it back to what I had before and then checked it via NAS on my laptop and the folder was yellow coloured again and everything worked as normal. Go figure. Maybe it was because No1Mellenhead had ripped it on the B2. Maybe Mark Fishman can explain. Just curious Mark.
Screenshot (15).png

Daniel Taylor

Oct 4, 2019, 7:08:41 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum
"The "full stop" or "decimal point" was a mistake in editing, but my question to Paul was " in what way doesn't the B2 like it," as it played ok. Can't remember how I stumbled on this method. A hyphen, then a space before the number shows the track number. A hyphen and no space doesn't. At present, the track numbers show in the RH album window, but not in the now playing window."

A space character is quite often seen as a delimiter, which is probably the case here.

A decimal point is often the last character after a filename.  But as far as I know, it's not a delimiter.  My guess is it's something about how Linux and Raspberry Pi handle filenames.

When I rip albums on my computer, I always remove any decimal points that occur inside the filename, eg. Mr. or Mrs.  I don't want to take any chances.

Dennis Lefebvre

Oct 4, 2019, 7:09:16 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 6:05:25 PM UTC-4, Leslie Brownlee wrote:
....e only thing was the paled out appearance of the folder. Don't know what that means.

It means it is a Hidden folder, but you may have Windows configure to ignore the Hidden attribute. In File Explorer click View and see if there is a checkmark/tick in the Hidden items field.

Dennis Lefebvre

Oct 4, 2019, 7:16:07 PM10/4/19
to Brennan Forum

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 7:08:41 PM UTC-4, Daniel Taylor wrote:
 My guess is it's something about how Linux and Raspberry Pi handle filenames.

It's simply a Unix/Linux convention that filenames which begin with a Period/Full Stop/Point are treated as Hidden by the OS.

Leslie Brownlee

Oct 5, 2019, 4:46:27 AM10/5/19
to Brennan Forum
Yes, Dennis, there was a tick in the hidden items box. Always learning. Thanks again for the info.

PMB

Oct 7, 2019, 2:52:05 AM10/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,

Thought I had read about leading decimal points somewhere.... Thanks for the link Dennis.

Paul
Brennan Support.