FLAC compression

AM Wausau

Aug 2, 2021, 8:59:47 PM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
not even sure if that is the right term, but just loaded another five cd's in the B2 and before it popped the fifth one out the B2 is doing something with FLAC
right now it says something like 51% 81 of 167
it says I can hit stop for any other key to leave standby
Should I wait for this to finish and keep on loading CD's or is it best to let it finish this process?
thanks in advance
so new to this, but so far, love it

PMB

Aug 3, 2021, 5:38:52 AM8/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi amh...,

When you rip a CD on the B2 it does a high speed copy of the disc and stores it in it's original format - WAV. These files are very large so the B2 compresses these to save room on the hard drive (and allow you to store more CDs). It does the compression when not being used - the B2 goes into Standby mode after 5 minutes of no activity and starts compressing any WAV files it finds. After compression the B2 deletes the original WAV file/s.

The default setting on the B2 is FLAC - a lossless compression which maintains the original audio quality of the CD and provides a good level of compression (space saving).

We suggest you rip 20-30 CDs at a time and leave the B2 powered overnight to compress these and be ready for use the next day.

Paul
Brennan Support.

AM Wausau

Aug 3, 2021, 10:55:22 AM8/3/21
to Brennan Forum
thank you, this makes sense and I know how to use my toy more intelegently