BB1 Bluetooth Out

Brennan Support

Apr 20, 2020, 4:11:33 AM4/20/20
to bren...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

We had quite a few requests to add Bluetooth Out to BB1.

It was quite challenging and we found that different speakers and bluetooth gadgets behave quite differently so at times it was like trying to juggle kittens - I imagine.

I have released the code as an offline upgrade at this stage - the software release notes are copied below.

The only extra thing I would say is there is what I call tandem mode - where both the internal BB1 speaker and the Bluetooth speaker are driven together. This is only useful if the two are in different rooms because there is a delay between the speakers that is out of our control so it would be unpleasant if you could hear both.

Let me know how you get on.

Martin

17th April 2020

This is an experimental release for BB1 owners. This file adds Bluetooth out to BB1.
Download the file to a USB stick and plug into your BB1
Settings->Maintenance->USB Upgrade will install the software and reboot
Settings->Upgrade Bluetooth will install new Bluetooth Output files and reboot
Then you can either control connection to Bluetooth Speakers using the web UI or the Bluetooth Out on the main TFT menu.
If you run into difficulties try Reset Bluetooth on the web UI or in the Maintenance menu.
Let us know how you get on.
There is a gotcha - the Raspberry Pi uses the same radio for Bluetooth and Wifi so Wifi will turn off while playing on Bluetooth - so you cannot use the web UI or internet radio while playing to Bluetooth devices. The web UI will come back to life when you pause.

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 20, 2020, 5:44:21 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin

Thanks for this! I have installed, have version BB1 Apr 17 2020, no sign of Settings/Upgrade Bluetooth? Can pair to my Headset but not play anything.

PMB

Apr 20, 2020, 6:22:17 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Edwyn,

Please let us know the brand and model of the headphones.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 20, 2020, 7:03:30 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Mu6 Space 2, but I have a second pair (Original MU6) that would not connect to the B2 but do to the BB1!

Happy bunny!

Having said that the instructions may need updating, no sign of upgrade Bluetooth menu item.

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 20, 2020, 7:13:15 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
After much fiddling, deleting and re-scanning I can now also connect to the Mu6 Space 2 headset, very happy bunny.

PMB

Apr 20, 2020, 7:52:32 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Edwyn,

Could you describe what you had to do to connect the MU6's - might be useful to others?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 20, 2020, 9:26:46 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
1. delete all pairings on headphones and on BB1.
2. connect again,
3. Select Bluetooth Out on BB1 and select headphones.

John

Apr 20, 2020, 11:21:24 AM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Martin
Paul

What a nice surprise this morning!  Thank you.

I loaded the USB upgrade and followed Martin's directions.  I didn't have to "Upgrade Bluetooth" in the settings.  Once I loaded the USB upgrade the bluetooth options and pairing were available.

I have tried the new software with two headphones - a B&O H9i and a Marshall Monitor BT set.  Both paired and work fine with all controls on the headphone interacting correctly with the BB1.

This is a great upgrade and truly makes the BB! the "iPod on steroids"!  Thank you for making this update available.  It is THE feature for the BB1.

Cheers,

John

john Henrick

Apr 20, 2020, 4:39:21 PM4/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Fantastic !

Have upgraded and successfully paired first time with my focal headphones

Music plays fine with volume and stop next and previous all working

Videos don't play the audio part via Bluetooth though remains on the bb1 is this correct?

I only have one Bluetooth speaker a sonos move but it doesn't find this one in Bluetooth mode 🤔

Steve Copeland

Apr 21, 2020, 8:55:32 AM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I’ve managed to pair my BB1 to my ipad, but as soon as I play anything, it reverts to Source: Internal and plays through the BB1.
Any offers?
Similar problem with my Bose, except nothing plays on either.
Thanks
Steve

Ian Voce

Apr 21, 2020, 9:40:03 AM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Will you thank Martin, it’s great to have Bluetooth Out connecting to my Bose QC35 ii’s now.
it didn’t work first time after following the instructions above. It looked to pair OK but wouldn’t play on the headphones only on the internal speaker.

However, found out how to clear all the existing pairings on the Bose headphones, as suggested, and by following the instructions again, they connected immediately and have been working ever since. Great. The key step is to clear the existing pairings on the headphones.

Martin was correct, the WiFi is not available when using Bluetooth Out.

Many thanks again for his help

Regards

Ian

Robin

Apr 21, 2020, 12:28:32 PM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I have tried everything I can think of to get my Sennheiser MM400 X headphones to work with the Bluetooth out on my bb1. They do work perfectly with my two bb2s’
They seem to pair ok after scanning, then beep when connect is selected. However although it appears to be ok, no sound comes from the headphones and no control such as next track seems to work.
I have tried deleting, repairing etc to no avail.
Any ideas please

Ian Voce

Apr 21, 2020, 2:53:31 PM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Robin

I only have one pair of Bluetooth headphones and don’t have a B2 only BB1 so my knowledge is limited, like you I thought they had connected after I did the USB Upgrade etc. However, I only got mine working by deleting all previous pairings on my headphones, then they worked immediately when I redid the Bluetooth Out search.

Regards

Ian

Robin

Apr 21, 2020, 3:39:29 PM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Ian. I tried that but it still doesn’t work, not sure why!

john Henrick

Apr 21, 2020, 6:56:26 PM4/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Connected ok to sonos move via Bluetooth but once connected no sounds from speaker or BB1 😦

MJB

Apr 22, 2020, 4:22:22 AM4/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All

I just updated the offline upgrade file for those owners who did not see the upgrade bluetooth option in the Settings menu.

If you did not see the upgrade Bluetooth menu item them that would result in connection but no sound.

You should follow the instructions again - repeated below for convenience.

Glad to hear that a fair few of you are enjoying the function.

Oh by the way I have an old Bose Soundlink that I use for testing and it sometimes gets confused (newer Bose Soundtouch 20 is totally robust) - I found that you can reset the Soundlink by holding the mute button for about ten seconds. I recommend deleting the pairing at the BB1 end as well then turning the BB1 off and on while you are at it. Then you can start afresh.

Again let me know how you get on and any problem cases and workarounds

Martin

This is an experimental release for BB1 owners. This file adds Bluetooth out to BB1.
Download the file to a USB stick and plug into your BB1
Settings->Maintenance->USB Upgrade will install the software and reboot
Settings->Upgrade Bluetooth will install new Bluetooth Output files and reboot
Then you can either control connection to Bluetooth Speakers using the web UI or the Bluetooth Out on the main TFT menu.
If you run into difficulties try Reset Bluetooth on the web UI or in the Maintenance menu.
Let us know how you get on.
There is a gotcha - the Raspberry Pi uses the same radio for Bluetooth and Wifi so Wifi will turn off while playing on Bluetooth - so you cannot use the web UI or internet radio while playing to Bluetooth devices. The web UI will come back to life when you pause.

Martin

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 22, 2020, 5:58:59 AM4/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin

New file installed, this time got Upgrade option, working OK!

Peter Lowham

Apr 22, 2020, 6:59:38 AM4/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin,

As with Edwyn, the new file this morning has got my BB1 bluetooth connected and playing to a pair of August EP650 headphones; really great now!  I had hit the problem yesterday of not having the 'Upgrade Bluetooth' option, so thanks for fixing that issue.

The BB1 is also connecting now to my old Bose Soundlink (Mk1) so even better!

This is a really useful addition to the BB1's capabilities, so thanks again.

Regards,
Peter.

Robin

Apr 22, 2020, 9:50:34 AM4/22/20
to Brennan Forum
My Sennheiser MM400X headphones now work perfectly since applying Martins fix. All is controlled from headphones. WiFi is not a problem as by selecting pause full control is available from Web UI. Great sound quality and volume. Thanks Martin a superb piece of work!

john Henrick

Apr 22, 2020, 2:38:27 PM4/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Upgraded again reset Bluetooth then upgrade Bluetooth unit says downloading ,bye then reboots

Paired with sonos move Bluetooth speaker but no sound from either unit from music any ideas ?

Pairs with focal headphones ok and music and functions work

Videos sound still comes from BB1 though

PMB

Apr 23, 2020, 4:09:31 AM4/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Tried the BB1 Bluetooth with a JBL Flip 2 this morning and although it paired OK there was no sound from the Flip 2. Fixed this by resetting the Flip 2 - power on and then hold the Vol + and Phone buttons down until the Flip turns off > unpaired on the BB1 Bluetooth Out menu > the BB1 then found the Flip 2 again so paired it and had sound from the Flip 2.

Might be useful for other BT speakers/headphones.

Also found that Videos only play through the BB1 so will report that to Martin.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Steve Copeland

Apr 23, 2020, 4:24:40 PM4/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Working with my Bose as well now - this is exactly what I’d been hoping for.
 Thanks!

PMB

Apr 24, 2020, 6:54:56 AM4/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

Did you have to reset the Bose speaker to get it to work?

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

Apr 24, 2020, 9:50:36 AM4/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Factory reset my sonos move BB1 connects ok as it did before and stop play etc work but no sound out of either device

John

Steve Copeland

Apr 24, 2020, 5:08:43 PM4/24/20
to Brennan Forum
I replied to the email but it hasn’t appeared here. I think I reset the Bose by accident, but it seems to have done the trick.

PMB

Apr 26, 2020, 7:03:17 AM4/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

On the BB1 - Select Bluetooth Out > unpair the Sonos Move > let the BB1 find again > select the new Sonos Move search result to pair.

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

Apr 26, 2020, 7:20:46 AM4/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Done no change

Chrissy7090

Apr 30, 2020, 11:04:05 AM4/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi all

Have downloaded the file onto a usb as instructed. Following the rest of the instructions but when I hit the web upgrade button FAILED message appears. Have tried many times. Same result.. what if anything am I doing wrong..

Regards

Chrissy7090

Peter Lowham

Apr 30, 2020, 11:42:30 AM4/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

I think that the problem is that you need to run 'USB Upgrade' rather than 'Web Upgrade'.

Try that and let us know how that goes.

Regards,
Peter.

Chrissy7090

Apr 30, 2020, 12:27:22 PM4/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry led you astray there., I AM pressing the usb upgrade button and getting a FAILED result.

Peter Lowham

Apr 30, 2020, 12:39:48 PM4/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

OK, so two questions for you are.

1. Your USB stick; can you open up its 'Properties' and check that its format is 'FAT32' and not 'FAT' or 'FAT16' or 'NTFS'?
2.  What version of software is your BB1 running on?

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

May 1, 2020, 7:02:56 AM5/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

Is the file on the USB stick called   btubeV8.tar.gz   with no other characters e.g. (1) or spaces?

Remember to run Bluetooth Upgrade after the USB Upgrade.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Steve Copeland

May 2, 2020, 3:38:53 PM5/2/20
to Brennan Forum
I had this problem - if you download it more than once, you have to remove the version number or it will fail.

Chrissy7090

May 6, 2020, 7:41:14 AM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks everyone

Eventually got the new software downloaded and installed by using a different usb. Simple as that.

Now another problem with it. The Baby Brennan pairs ok with my Bluetooth speaker (a sky soundbox.) however no sound is forthcoming. Not a whisper.
I have reset everything - no joy.

Any ideas........??

Peter Lowham

May 6, 2020, 8:25:31 AM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

After running  'Settings --> Maintenance --> USB Upgrade' did you run 'Settings --> Upgrade Bluetooth'?  This function loads the Bluetooth Output files.

Regards,
Peter.

Chrissy7090

May 6, 2020, 10:42:54 AM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Yes did everything that I should do..paired the two devices without a hitch.. selected an album pressed play... nothing.. nada.... no sound

Regards

Chrissy7090

Peter Lowham

May 6, 2020, 11:18:48 AM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

On looking on my BB1, when I switch on my Bose Soundlink (which is using Bluetooth), I initially have the IP address displayed the bottom left hand side of the screen and 'Bluetooth' on the bottom right hand side of the screen.

Then when I select an artist and track, the IP address changes to 'Off' and the music plays through the Bose speaker. If I pause or stop the music, the 'Off' status changes back to the IP address. Press 'Play' again, and the IP address changes back to 'Off'.

Are you seeing any of this on your BB1?

Regards,
Peter.

Chrissy7090

May 6, 2020, 2:23:49 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Seeing everything exactly as you describe but no sound,!!

Very frustrating

Regards

Chrissy7090

Peter Lowham

May 6, 2020, 2:38:06 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

What software version is your BB1 running on?

Can you recall when you downloaded the Bluetooth Upgrade file from the Brennan website?  There was a bug in the file on 17th April 2020 which was fixed on 22nd April 2020, so if you downloaded before 22nd April then this might be the problem.

At the moment, the only suggestion I have is to go through the entire Bluetooth upgrade process again.

Regards,
Peter.

Chrissy7090

May 6, 2020, 2:50:10 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Installed update on 1sr May ... so after latest update

Peter Lowham

May 6, 2020, 3:58:06 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

OK, so you have the corrected version of the Bluetooth Upgrade file.  If you look at the 'Stats' menu, is the software version 'BB1 Apr 22 2020'?

The only thing I can suggest is to rerun the 'Bluetooth Upgrade' process.  The fact the the pairing has worked suggests that the 'first stage' of the upgrade has worked, but the lack of sound suggests that the 'second stage' has not worked fully.

Regards,
Peter.

john Henrick

May 6, 2020, 4:13:51 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
I have the same issue with a sonos move speaker pairs ok but no sound

Reset and reinstalled few times

Pairs with my headphones ok

Chrissy7090

May 6, 2020, 5:52:14 PM5/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi all

Have just paired with a set of Bluetooth headphones - worked perfectly first time.

I went back to the SKY SOUNDBOX paired first time. The soundbox told me BRENNAN had been found. Once again complete silence when track is selected.

Any more ideas..?.

Regards

Chrssy7090

PMB

May 7, 2020, 4:09:06 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chrissy,

Try resetting/clearing the soundbox - usually involves holding a button or two down - then pair the BB1 again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

May 7, 2020, 4:10:27 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Try resetting/clearing the Sonos Move and pair the BB1 again.

BTW the updated Bluetooth software only works with the BB1 currently.

Paul
Brennan SUpport.

john Henrick

May 7, 2020, 4:27:45 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

Have tried that twice no change will try again

John

Charles H

May 7, 2020, 6:52:22 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi
I find on my BB1 I have a March 18 Upgrade. I've tried 3 times to update it and nothing happens
Charles

Peter Lowham

May 7, 2020, 7:09:25 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Charles,

You haven't documented what process you are using to run the upgrade but hope that this note might be of some help to you.

If you have BB1 Mar 18 2020 then you are at the latest release that is accessible using 'Web Upgrade'.

To upgrade to the latest release, dated 'Apr 18 2020' you will need to use the 'USB Upgrade' process which is documented on the Brennan website.  Here is the link:

Regards,
Peter.

John

May 7, 2020, 10:34:16 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hello Everyone,

This might be a strange question regarding the BB1 Bluetooth out.

I happily upgraded the BB1 Bluetooth Out on both April 20th and April 22nd USB updates from Martin. All worked well with both upgrades for me and the Bluetooth Out feature on the BB1 is a fantastic addition.

Having both the B2 and the BB1, I occasionally will instruct either device to do a web upgrade just in case there is a new feature that i have not yet heard of.  I had done that with the BB1 several days ago.  This morning when I turned on the BB1 I noticed that the Bluetooth Out features were gone.  The required selections were no longer in the menus as they had since the initial upgrade.  I checked the software release date and noticed that it was now showing March 18th.

I downloaded and upgraded the Bluetooth Out files once again and loaded them up with no problems.  The menu items are now back and the software version shows April 22nd again.

Question - once you upgrade the BB1 with the Bluetooth Out files via USB should you no longer use the Web Upgrade feature on the BB1 to upgrade the OS?  Does a web upgrade wipe out the Bluetooth features that were installed with the previous USB upgrade?

Not sure if anyone else has run in to this. Perhaps there is another issue I need to address.

John

Daniel Taylor

May 7, 2020, 10:55:56 AM5/7/20
to Brennan Forum
John,
It is my understanding that, at this point, the Bluetooth improvements are still experimental and can only be obtained though a USB upgrade (not Web upgrade).  At some point - maybe soon - those changes will be brought into the official upgrade stream.  But for now, a Web upgrade does not include the Bluetooth improvements.  Others correct me if that's wrong.

PMB

May 8, 2020, 4:57:58 AM5/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

It's my understanding that doing a Web Upgrade overwrites the current version software - so effectively backdating the software in this case.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John

May 8, 2020, 8:48:38 AM5/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

That is what i was wondering - thank you.  Now i know there is not something else to look in to.

Accidentally doing a Web upgrade after completing the USB upgrade did cause some additional difficulties with Bluetooth pairings and strange behaviors with devices after I reloaded the USB upgrade.  I did sort it all out but it was a bit of a pain to get things working again.  I need to be more careful and hopefully no one else will do the same!

John

PMB

May 11, 2020, 5:30:58 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Did you have to clear the pairings on the devices that previously worked with the Bluetooth Upgrade?

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

May 11, 2020, 7:00:09 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Martin has made the Bluetooth software update available via a 'Web Upgrade' this morning.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

May 11, 2020, 7:38:41 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Paul,

Thanks for the update.  I've updated both my B2 and BB1 this morrning and all seems good.  I'm playing the BB1 through an old Bose Soundlink I at the moment and it is working very happily.

Regards,
Peter.

John

May 11, 2020, 8:59:15 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Paul,

I did clear the pairings after the web upgrade overwrote the previous USB upgrade.  I got everything working again but it took some tweaking with the devices i wanted to connect to get them paired again and i was experiencing strange bluetooth behavior - dropouts, sudden disconnects, etc.  After working with it a bit and pairing and re-pairing, things appear to be back to normal.

It appears from you message below that Martin has integrated the Bluetooth capabilities in to the web upgrade updates.  May we now upgrade our BB1 units simply through the web updates and retain all the great bluetooth functionalities?

Thanks,

John

Edwyn Corteen

May 11, 2020, 9:13:35 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John

Yes now just a normal upgrade, my BB1 is now on version BB1 May 11 2020, Bluetooth working exactly as it was before the upgrade.

John

May 11, 2020, 9:16:46 AM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Edwin,

Thank you.  Great news!

John

john Henrick

May 11, 2020, 3:41:20 PM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Upgraded again unpaired and reset sonos move

Paired again no sound from either device

john Henrick

May 11, 2020, 3:54:41 PM5/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Tested on my B2 paired all ok

PMB

May 12, 2020, 4:51:00 AM5/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

You may have to reset the Bluetooth devices and pair them again and if that doesn't work clear all pairings on the BB1 - Reset Bluetooth (Maintenance menu).

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

May 12, 2020, 2:12:11 PM5/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Tried both no change. Move pairs ok but no sound out of either device

PMB

May 13, 2020, 3:54:58 AM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Just checking but you appear to have posts for Bluetooth for the B2 and the BB1 - is that correct?

BTW the Bluetooth updates are only for the BB1 at this stage.

Has anyone else used the Sonos Move with the BB1?

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

May 13, 2020, 4:36:27 AM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

That correct I just mentioned the B2 as that worked ok

John

PMB

May 14, 2020, 4:24:42 AM5/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

So the issue with no sound is for the BB1 + Sonos Move speaker - the B2 works OK with the Move - is that correct?

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

May 14, 2020, 4:26:44 AM5/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul yes that's correct

PMB

May 15, 2020, 4:03:10 AM5/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

What software version is the B2 running - B2 xxx or B2B xxx (where xxx is the date)?

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

May 15, 2020, 4:15:21 AM5/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

The B2 is running B2 11 may 2020

Mitch Russo

May 19, 2020, 9:36:24 AM5/19/20
to Brennan Forum
I believe I have the latest version of the firmware. I was able to pair with the older Soundlink II that Martin has after I held down the mute button, it did pair. Then no sound and then it unpaired. The B1 seems to think it's still paired with the Bose Speaker but the bose speaker bluetooth icon is blinking and no sound.

PMB

May 20, 2020, 4:55:19 AM5/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mitch,

I would try Reset Bluetooth (Maintenance menu) on the BB1 and also reset the SoundLink (this usually involves holding a button or two for a few seconds - check the manual). Make sure only one speaker is active and pair that with the BB1.

Have you selected 'Bluetooth Upgrade' (Settings)?

Paul
Brennan Support.

john Henrick

May 26, 2020, 6:07:20 PM5/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Anyone else tried a sonos move with BB1 tried numerous resets etc connects ok.but no sound

Standard B2 not b2b connect fine and sound plays fine