Not all songs showing up in Sonos

Joe Katz

Jan 17, 2021, 12:02:24 PM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I've been ripping my CDs to my B2, which is connected via NAS to Sonos. Each morning I run a shuffle of the songs on Sonos to make sure the count has increased. Today I noticed that about 12 discs I ripped towards the end of yesterday's session didn't show up in my Sonos music library. I have done "Scan Disk" a couple times but they're still not showing up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Peter Lowham

Jan 17, 2021, 12:30:10 PM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joe,
This might be happening because the CDs that are not showing in Sonos have not been tagged during the rip, i.e. the MusicBrainz CDDB did not recognise them.  The B2 does not use tag data itself, it just uses the file folder names and the track names, whereas the Sonos uses the tag data for artist, album and track names.

I use 'Mp3tag' (free download from the web) to check the CD tag data and to edit it if required.

Regards,
Peter

Joe Katz

Jan 17, 2021, 1:42:23 PM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter --
Thanks very much for the reply, but I don't think that's it. All the missing CDs were identified by the CDDB when I ripped them. I was surprised it knew "Germ-Free Adolescents: The X-Ray Spex Anthology" but it did! Sonos is not finding these artists ripped yesterday, filed under letters W-Y (I don't have any Zs): Roy Wood, Yardbirds, Young Fresh Fellows, Neil Young, X-Ray Spex, Yo La Tengo. Oddly, Sonos does find the several Dwight Yoakam discs I ripped during this session.

I'll get mp3tag and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Peter Lowham

Jan 17, 2021, 2:41:01 PM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joe,

I'm out of ideas at the moment!  Mp3Tag is a really useful application for looking at these issues.  I spent 3 months this summer using it to fix tag issues with my collection, which I have built up over the last 20 years or so, and some of the earlier tagging was poor quality.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jan 18, 2021, 5:28:09 AM1/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joe K,

For one of the Albums that is not showing on Sonos try 'Retag Album' from the Album menu - so search for the Album using the front control > open the Album menu > select 'Retag Album' > refresh Sonos and see if the Albums is shown.

This will let us know if it is a tagging issue or not.

I did think you had to update/refresh the Sonos library after adding any new music to the B2....

Paul
Brennan Support.

RichM

Jan 19, 2021, 11:48:30 AM1/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul is right that your Sonos library needs to be updated. In the S2 app go to Settings - System - Music Library - Music Index. There you can run a one-off or schedule a daily update. I have mine set for 2.00 am but occasionally run one in the day. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Joe Katz

Jan 19, 2021, 1:32:39 PM1/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, all. Yes, I update my Sonos music library daily. Even pre-Brennan, I've noticed it doesn't bring over every song in my Music folder -- long discussions with the Sonos gang hasn't yielded any answers. In any event, the albums that weren't showing up earlier from the Brennan now show up. Go figure.

Thanks again, everybody!