Samsung SSD T5

David C Robson

Feb 27, 2018, 12:31:08 PM2/27/18
to Brennan Forum
I have a B2 500G. Has anyone used a Samsung SSD T5 as backup? See https://youtu.be/Lu9FC56Ru2g
David Robson

Brennan Support

Mar 7, 2018, 4:21:31 AM3/7/18
to Brennan Forum
Hello David

Martin Brennan here - I didn't have time to watch the Youtube - if its FAT it will work. If its not you can format it on the B2 - before you use the SSD for anything else.

Settings->Maintenance->Format USB C

Martin

Scott Varga

Mar 15, 2019, 11:18:35 AM3/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hello David & Martin,

I just bought two Samsung T5s, formatted both on my B2 (Format USB C), and neither is then recognized by the B2
when I try to Backup (USB Functions>No USB Device).

However, when I try the same with a Samsung 128GB thumb drive, it works...

Help me, please!

Scott

Daniel Taylor

Mar 15, 2019, 3:29:42 PM3/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Scott,
When you formatted the drive on your B2, did it seem to succeed okay?  When you plug it into your computer, does your computer see it as FAT32?  How much capacity does the drive have?  If its more than 2 TB, I don't know what the B2 does with it as far as partitioning - it may create a 2 TB partition and leave the rest unused.

Scott Varga

Mar 15, 2019, 4:53:54 PM3/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Thank you, Daniel!

It's a 1TB SSD. My computer sees it as FAT.

Scott

steven hudson

Mar 15, 2019, 5:05:13 PM3/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Scott

Does you computer see them as exFat or Fat32?

Windows 10 doesn't natively format to Fat32 anymore, it was superseded by exFat.

There are many programmes that can still format to Fat32 though, like partition magic, etc.

Scott Varga

Mar 15, 2019, 11:04:50 PM3/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

I'm formatting it with the B2. Shouldn't that do it?

B.J.

Mar 16, 2019, 2:07:08 AM3/16/19
to Brennan Forum
I am using a 500G Samsung T5 to backup my B2. It works fine. I like it because it is so small. I take it to my car and I have all my music there too.
When you first plug it in to the B2’s USB C, you have to format it. No problem. The brief Samsung documentation doesn’t mention FAT32, but it works. The drive comes with encryption and password software installed. Formating it will overwrite this software, but I don‘t think it’s needed for my use. If you later decide you want this software you can download it from the Samsung website.

steven hudson

Mar 16, 2019, 3:19:06 AM3/16/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Scott.

Yes, as long as you formatted on the B2 from new, it'll definitely be formatted in Fat32.

If you had of formatted on a PC to start off with, the B2 probably wouldn't of recognised the drive.

PMB

Mar 17, 2019, 4:26:43 PM3/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Scott,

When using the B2 to format the display should show 'Partitioning' for 2-3s and then 'Formatting' for at least 1-2 minutes. Any quicker indicates that the format didn't work - so worth running it again.

Paul
Brennan Support.