No USB-B Port?

Jim Jacobus

May 10, 2021, 12:54:03 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I just received my Brennan B2 on Saturday. I discovered there is no USB B port on the back like in all the pictures on the website. Instead there is a mini-usb port. I have a mini-usb to USB adapter so I thought it was just a new design replacement. However, nothing works with the mini-usb. It doesn't show up on the web UI either as a USB (I just USB A and USB C).
It's a bit frustrating since I need those 3 USB ports.
Does anyone have information on this? I downloaded the latest software, but still no response from the mini-usb.

JFBUK

May 10, 2021, 1:25:52 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
not sure where you saw a picture showing a usb-B
This is what is on the B2 website.

The mini usb is not enabled.

What are you hoping to connect ?

Someone maybe able to recommend alternative solution

John

JFBUK

May 10, 2021, 2:34:17 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

To clarify , if you have bought a B2 with an internal hard drive there is no USB-B.
USB-B is used for the internal hard drive connection.
Only diskless B2s have the USB-B free.

John

Daniel Taylor

May 10, 2021, 2:50:43 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
The pictures that show the USB-B port are left over from the very early days of the B2 model when there was a model that did not have a hard disk, and the music was stored on the SD card (which protruded from the right side of the unit).  Then when they added the internal HDD, they took USB port B to connect to it.  So those pictures (which I've seen, too) are quite outdated.

JFBUK

May 10, 2021, 2:52:13 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Jim replied  to me direct via email

I didn't see that pic since I was looking at the promotional material.
Why would the mini usb be disabled?

Jim, see my second reply as clarification on the USB-B rationale
I’m not sure about the reason the mini usb is disabled but the Raspberry pi computer, which is what the B2 is under the hood, uses a mini usb as its default power input.
So it may be something related to that e.g. power safety

Btw it’s better to reply on the forum rather than direct to email so that others can see the full thread of replies

John

Fred Waltman

May 10, 2021, 6:00:03 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I seem to remember from when I played around with an early model Raspberry PI the micro usb was strictly for power.

Newbie Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 10, 2021, 9:22:57 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Guys,

The Mini USB port on the back of the Brennan is that for powering the Raspberry Pi (It is a power in port NOT a functioning USB port) - that is how native Raspberry Pis are powered, through that mini USB port. The amplifier in the B2 requires more power than can be supplied through that port so the B2 has a power jack and power brick to power it. However Martin Brennan left access to the mini USB port so that that option was available.

Fred

PMB

May 11, 2021, 3:27:38 AM5/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

We use standard, off the shelf Raspberry Pi boards and the mini USB is part of that board. The R Pi is positioned against the rear panel so the HDMI port is available, so we have to make apertures for the mini USB (power for the Raspberry Pi when used in stand alone mode - not used on B2) and the 3.5mm jack (Audio and Video out from the Raspberry Pi - its a TRRRS jack).

Please direct me to any pictures on the website showing USB B and I'll get them amended.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 11, 2021, 4:11:41 AM5/11/21