Brennan B2 SSD confusing messages on info and more.

Iain Farquhar

Jan 22, 2022, 9:59:26 AM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Brennan B2 SSD 480Gb why in info does it say  "used 0.00Gb" when it has hundreds of albums on?"   This can be changed, too,  when in settings/maintenance it offers "change to music from HDD",  or to SD, or similar wording.

JFBUK

Jan 22, 2022, 10:13:26 AM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

can you post a screenshot of what you get displayed when you click settings in the Web UI (little cog wheel ) ?

Something like this

Screenshot 2022-01-22 151156.jpg

John

Iain

Jan 22, 2022, 11:02:35 AM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, John,
Just joined and had difficulty with the basics on the site, never mind sending a screenshot!
On the panel you show, I get the following extracts:
...875 albums....9479 FLAC
Capacity 480.00G Used 0.00Gb.......
Iain

Message has been deleted

JFBUK

Jan 22, 2022, 11:04:57 AM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Iain,

Is the B2 functioning as you expect ? i.e. can you playback tracks and rip additional CDs OK ?
Have you run a Scan Disk since you first noticed this issue ?
The other thing to try is a Free Space check from the menu

>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>FREE SPACE

and see if your numbers update ?

John

Iain

Jan 22, 2022, 1:00:48 PM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes, all functioning as normal.   I have been running around like a b.a. fly the last few days backing up 2 X B2s and installing a new SSD drive in the JB7.  I have seen this anomaly before on this SSD B2 bought new.  I think there is maybe a bug to do with the menu dealing with iirc "Use SD" (for music storage) and "Use HDD - use hard disc for music storage - music on SAD will be ignored".  This B2 would not have an HDD, surely, if it has a 480Gb SD for music?  Depending on option (SD or HDD) which you select, you get different stats in the info.
Doesnt seem to affect the functioning, but is confusing for the user.
Iain

Daniel Taylor

Jan 22, 2022, 2:27:57 PM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
There is a difference between SD card and SSD (Solid State Drive).  Every B2 has an SD card, upon which is stored the operating software.  On all but the earliest units, there is either an HDD or SSD, upon which is stored the music.

It is also possible to store music on the SD card.  That's the way it was on an early model that did not have a hard disk.  The capability still exists, hence the command Use SD.  Sometimes when the spftware encounters a problem with the hard disk (or SSD), it will switch to the SD card as a music source.  Then, if you don't notice that it has switched sources, you can end up storing albums on the SD card by mistake.  I think that is more of a problem than a feature.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2022, 2:49:38 PM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
The SD Card on modern machines is used to store and run the Operating system from. As Daniel says it can be used to hold music too but normally this should not happen. The exception is when you are recording from the Line In port, when the SD Card data/music area is where the recordings end up. You then need to move them to the HDD/SSD.

Fred

Iain

Jan 22, 2022, 2:53:18 PM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Right, Daniel!  That makes sense.  I have seen the smaller capacity SD card come up with what must have been small amounts of music, during my trials and errors.  The use of the term HDD on this SSD model is confusing for the user not as au fait as yourself, say.  Thanks again.

Iain

Jan 22, 2022, 2:55:13 PM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks to you, too, Fred for your contribution.  Things are getting clearer now.

PMB

Jan 24, 2022, 5:37:31 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Iain.f...,

Has the 'Used' figure changed since trying the suggestions? If not try running Scan Disk - Settings menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Iain

Jan 24, 2022, 5:55:40 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi, Paul, forgive me for not updating, I have been running round in circles trying to oversee the backing up/restoring of 2 X B2s and a
 JB7.

Improvement here on the B2 480G situation;
11087 tracks in 1027 albums......
1 WAV 11086 FLAC 0 MP3/AAC
Capacity 480.00G Used 289.89GbVersion...Oct 15 2021...........

The data came from a B2 backup on a Seagate Expansion+   formatted MRB Fat 32 iirc.
Only one query, why the single WAV and how can I find it, should I delete it if I find it?

I am new to this forum, should I just ask my subsequent questions on my backup/restoring matters,  on this thread or would I start a new one to comply with the expected format?

Many thanks,
Iain

JFBUK

Jan 24, 2022, 7:12:34 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Iain,

starting a new thread is a judgement call really.
If you have another question and its not directly related to your earlier post and answers previously received , (even if its in the same topic area), it is better to start a new thread to avoid
over complicating the original thread.
Its always nice to end a thread with a solution and a positive outcome :)

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 7:27:37 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Regarding your WAV file. If you have the B2 setup in default mode, when it is next idle it should compress the WAV file into a FLAC and the WAV file will then be deleted.

Fred

Iain

Jan 24, 2022, 7:33:24 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Ok, I get it, John, will do.

Thanks, too, Fred.  "setup in default mode"?  can you expand on that for a still-learning bod, please?
Regards
Iain

Daniel Taylor

Jan 24, 2022, 9:27:50 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Default mode is the setting you get automatically when you do nothing to change it.
The compression options on the B2 are None, FLAC, MP3, and FLAC+MP3.
When the new B2 arrives, it is already set for FLAC conversion.  If you don't change the setting, then the B2 will begin to attempt to convert all your WAV files to FLAC when it goes into standby.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 9:31:43 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

By default when you rip a CD on the Brennan, it is ripped to a file format called "WAV" which is lossless but uncompressed.
The B2 has the ability to compress WAV files to MP3, or FLAC see

a.JPG
As you can see FLAC is the default.
The B2 will only compress WAV files it will not change the compression of WAV or MP3.
The WAV+MP3  setting a special instance and is applied AFTER initial compression from WAV to FLAC. It makes a ("hidden" from the B2 user interface except for 2 commands) copy of the music collection as MP3. This is used if you want to
make an MP3 export of your music (or a playlist) for use on an MP3 player (like a car).

Hope this helps

Fred

Iain

Jan 24, 2022, 11:35:30 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
OK thanks Daniel and Fred.  Yes I have preferred FLAC over the last few years.
Will set compression to that just now and see if single WAV is replaced.
Thanks again both

Iain

Jan 24, 2022, 12:35:45 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Nope  1 WAV still in info 55minutes later.
Only one track, not to worry.  The USB and B2 are occupied producing for JB7 "a backup to C".
I can see the tracks are all FLAC, how will they get onto the JB7???
What fun.
Catch you later.
Iain

Daniel Taylor

Jan 24, 2022, 12:50:52 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
A couple of thoughts on the single WAV file:
In order for the B2 to begin compression automatically, it must be idel for at least 5 minutes - that includes not being connected to the WebUI.  So be sure and close your WebUI browser or app.  It's also possible to force the start of compression with the Compress Now command (Settings menu).

If the file still will not compress, it's possible that the file is corrupted.  You can find the file with a search in the WebUI for the WAV files.  Delete the file and re-rip the CD it came from.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 12:56:09 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

You need to find the file - use the Web UI search utility to look for .wav and it should show up.
As Daniel says it is probably corrupt. See if it will play, if not delete it and re rip the CD it belongs to.

Fred

Iain

Jan 24, 2022, 3:45:27 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks a lot Daniel and Fred - got rid of the rogue WAV!
Found it by search just as you advised and found it was one track on a "CD" I downloaded from a band supporter's website.  Not their fault I dont think it was anything toxic - probably due to something unorthodox in the way this isolated album was acquired.
Best wishes guys.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 24, 2022, 4:55:08 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
If you still have the WAV file on your computer, convert it to FLAC there, and then transfer it to the B2.