transferring to and from a USB to B2

steve morley

Mar 18, 2021, 4:14:09 PM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi, I have recently bought a Brennan B2.

I want to transfer recordings made onto the Brennan from a vinyl Lp onto a USB so that I can edit it on a PC with Audacity. However, both the backup and the Export options [in USB Functions] seem to transfer the entirety of what is on the Brennan - which is far too much; and the 'Playlist to C' only sends a text doc..

I also want to do the reverse, transfer music from a USB onto the B2. When I try ‘Restore USB to C’ the songs appear on the desktop browser, but then disappears when the USB is disconnected, so it hasn’t transferred.

So, any ideas on how I can do either of these operations? Am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers

Steve

Daniel Taylor

Mar 18, 2021, 4:40:26 PM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,
Don't use the Restore command (or the Backup command).
To copy your albums onto the B2, use the Import command.  But before you do...
When you are assembling your files on your computer, there is a directory structure that the B2 likes to see - actually, requires.
On your USB stick, create a folder named music.  It is into this folder where you'll copy your music from the computer.
Your music must be arranged as tracks contained in an Album folder, which is in turn contained in an Artist folder.
And your track filenames must begin with the track number.
So your USB stick will look like this:
music
     Artist name
          Album name
               01 First Track
               02 Second Track
               03 Third Track

Another way to write it is this:  music\Artist\Album\tracks...

Dennis

Mar 18, 2021, 5:05:38 PM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 4:14:09 PM UTC-4 stephe...@gmx.com wrote:

....'Playlist to C' only sends a text doc..

Correct, but there is another command Export Playlist which copies the tracks.

steve morley

Mar 19, 2021, 5:19:09 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel, thanks for getting back to me on this issue. This has worked fine. I should have paid more attention to the instructions on the webpage, I assumed that the folder system was cosmetic. I also got confused because when I used the Import command the Restore command automatically shows, and so I have been pressing this as well.

This has solved the transfer of files from a USB into the B2, but I'm afraid, Dennis, that the Export Playlist command [in the Playlist meny] isn't copying the track over -  nothing is happening.

Steve

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2021, 5:33:02 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Steve, if you have been using the  ‘Restore USB to C’  (actually " ‘Restore USB to C’ ) then your B2's music folder may be corrupt.
I suggest you set your B2 as a NAS and examine what the Music folder actually looks like as Daniel (above) describes
"music
     Artist name
          Album name
               01 First Track
               02 Second Track
               03 Third Track
"
and edit it manually if it does not

I also suspect that your B2 software may be out of date (in the latest version the USB Backup and Restore options have been moved to a JB7 menu, to try and stop people using them inappropriately).
Press "info" on your remote handset twice and see what version of the OS you are on.
It should be the May 1  2021 version.  If not Do a "Web Upgrade"

Fred

PMB

Mar 19, 2021, 7:48:29 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

Add the 'Recording' (Vinyl Album) you want to transfer to the USB stick to an empty Playlist. Then use 'Export Playlist'.

Paul
Brennan Support.

steve morley

Mar 19, 2021, 8:59:36 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

This is exactly what I am doing - going to Playlist menu, selecting 'Export Playlist', selecting a playlist (with just one song as a trial) and pressing the button. The lights flash for a brief second, but nothing is copied across.

Steve

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2021, 9:09:42 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Steve,

Silly question, but on the B2 if you play that playlist - does it play?

Fred

steve morley

Mar 19, 2021, 9:57:23 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred

I have subsequently done a Web upgrade (actually to March 1 2021), as you suggested, and it works now! Thanks to you and everyone else who have helped me with this, much appreciated.

Steve

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2021, 7:23:08 PM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
I seem to be time travelling :)) yes I meant March 1 2021 :))
Glad you are sorted!
Fred