Reflashing SD card

Christopher Brown

Aug 14, 2021, 6:28:07 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Can someone point me to the instructions for reflashing my SD, please? I do not like the idea of opening my B2 and am wary of messing with the SD as I believe (?) it hold the operating system and don't want to erase something that I need.

Davywhizz

Aug 14, 2021, 7:58:44 AM8/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter reposted this recently when I was in your position:

(micro)SD card rebuild process

I published the note below a while ago as some forum members were asking for slightly more detail than the website was providing.

It is reasonably straight-forward to do, although it looks a bit scary when you look at the instructions.  Below is a link to those instructions. Look in the left hand panel of the webpage and scroll down to 'New SD Card'.

There are two download links; one for 'balenaEtcher' and the other for 'B2BNOV2019.zip' file.  These are all you need to rebuild your (micro)SD card.

I have boiled the instructions down into a series of summary steps below, which hopefully be of help to you.

1. Download & install 'balenaEtcher' on your PC/Mac
2. Download B2BNOV2019.zip to your PC
3. Plug new (micro)SD card into PC
4. Start up 'balenaEtcher' application on PC.  It will find and display the new (micro)SD card automatically.
5. Point 'balenaEtcher' to the B2BNOV2019.zip file  (DON'T unzip the file)
6. Click on balenaEtcher 'Start' button

The 'balenaEtcher' takes about 5 - 10 minutes to flash and verify the SD card.

7. Install the newly built (micro)SD card into the B2.
8. Power up the B2.
9. Check on software version which should show as 'B2B Mar 17 2020' (or something near this date).
10. Run a 'Web Upgrade' to get the latest software on the Brennan website.
11. Reboot B2.
12. Run a software version check - should now show 'B2B Jul 26 2021' (or something near this date).

If you are using Librespot then complete the steps below.

13. Run 'Setting' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> ''Get Librespot' .
14. Reboot B2.
15. Run a software version check - should still show 'B2B Jul 26 2021' (or something near this date).

fred.w....@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2021, 5:32:46 AM8/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Just to add to the above, while after inserting a new or newly flashed SD card, while the WiFi information will have remained as before, other settings (such as NAS) will have reverted to their default values (for NAS this is "off").

Fred.

Christopher Brown

Aug 15, 2021, 7:33:13 AM8/15/21
to Brennan Forum
What settings do you recommend I should apply? I have to solve this inability to access HDD.

Peter Lowham

Aug 15, 2021, 8:14:42 AM8/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christopher,

The (micro)SD card holds the B2's Operating System; that is all of the sofware that the B2 needs to run.  The HDD holds your music collection as well as most of the B2's adjustable settings.  When you reflash the (micro)SD card, all of the B2 software will be reloaded from the image file that you will download from the Brennan website.  The NAS setting (this enables PC network access to the B2 music collection) might have to be switched from 'Off' to 'On' but that will be easy to check.

I cannot find where you have stated what the base problem is, but reading between the lines it seems that NAS access is not functioning.  This can be caused by different issues, so reflashing the (micro)SD card might not fix the problem.

Before you begin the reflash process can you check the status of NAS?  Using the B2 remote control, press the 'Info' button twice and read the top line which begins "Version B2 ................".  Take a note of this.

Then press 'Info' button once more and you should bee a single line which begins "NAS ...............".  Take a note of this.

Post those readings here so that we can be of more help.

If it begins "NAS Off ......" then that is likely to be the problem.  This can be fixed by taking the following actions.

From the front panel, select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Start NAS'

Then check NAS status again as described above.  If it then shows 'NAS On' then NAS is working at the B2 end.  Wait up to  about 30 minutes and f you still cannot access NAS from your PC, then some checks will need to be done on the PC.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 15, 2021, 9:39:16 AM8/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christopher,
Was there an earlier, different thread where you described the problems that led to reflashing the SD card?

PMB

Aug 16, 2021, 3:11:53 AM8/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Crispy...,

Might be worth explaining the original problem more before diving into SD Card programming.

Paul
Brennan Support.