Splitting the Optical Output

JAC

Feb 24, 2019, 6:17:49 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
I just noticed that CPC Farnell in the UK are offering a 2-Way Optical Splitter for Toslink cables.  No knob to turn and fairly compact. Priced at only £2.56, so might be useful for folks who want to experiment with multiple equipment.

Note that I have no connection with this company and haven't tried one out myself.

PMB

Feb 24, 2019, 8:57:08 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi JAC,

Please send a link - this is a popular request.

Paul
Brennan Support.

JAC

Feb 24, 2019, 9:07:29 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
Link to item on CPC Farnell website

PMB

Feb 24, 2019, 9:40:24 AM2/24/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks JAC.

There appears to be quite a few variations on eBay and Amazon now I've looked properly.

I think the cheap ones just use a clear plastic guide to split the light to two outputs and the more expensive probably have a TOS receiver with some (simple) electronics to drive two TOS transmitter devices.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nick Hickson

Mar 3, 2019, 1:55:30 PM3/3/19
to Brennan Forum
I've just bought one of these of which there are many on Amazon/eBay etc.

In order to connect it to the Brennan's optical output I also had to buy a suitable jack optical adapter for the 'Yellow' end. On one of the outlets i plugged in my existing optical cable which normally goes to my Denon HiFi system and its speakers. When everything was switched on and 'Optical 1'' was selected on the Denon, no music issued forth when the Brennan was played. Instead I got 'Signal unlock' on my Denon display ie. no sound.

From other tests I know that the two adapters work but when assembled into the Spliter, nichts, nothing, nada.

The other output on this Splitter had been intended to go to my new Blitzwolf Bluetooth transmitter thus saving  wear and tear on the Brennan's Optical output socket.
I don't know what to do next other than to keep on spending money on this project. I don't really want to go down the road of yet another powered Splitter of probably better quality and performance.
Also with this Splitter, the plastic output Female sockets give a rather loose fit to any Male Toslink cables inserted.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 3, 2019, 3:19:03 PM3/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nick,
I remembered that Paul said:  "I think the cheap ones just use a clear plastic guide to split the light to two outputs and the more expensive probably have a TOS receiver with some (simple) electronics to drive two TOS transmitter devices."

I wonder if you bought one of the cheap ones.  If so, now we all benefit from your test.  If you can verify ahead of time what method is used, I'd expect that one of the higher quality splitters would work fine.

Good luck.

Nick Hickson

Mar 3, 2019, 3:32:39 PM3/3/19
to Brennan Forum

Daniel Taylor

Mar 3, 2019, 3:58:32 PM3/3/19
to Brennan Forum
It really didn't say what method they use inside.  OTOH, a few of the user reviews indicate that there is a quality issue.  Maybe you got a bad one.

Nick Hickson

Mar 3, 2019, 5:09:47 PM3/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Yes that it is possible. I could buy a couple of generic ones from ebay as they're cheaper there or at least one isn't stung directly for p&p.

PMB

Mar 4, 2019, 5:23:35 AM3/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nick,

Haven't actually tried a passive splitter (like the one you bought) but as a start can you see any light (the red led from the B2) at either of the splitter's outputs or at the end of the optical cable your are plugging into the Denon?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nick Hickson

Mar 4, 2019, 5:32:38 AM3/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul.
Did a lash up this morning behind the Brennan, plugging in the Splitter into the B2 and readily saw red light from both outputs. I connected one side to my new Bluetooth Transmitter (Blitzwolf) but nothing came out of the 'connected Headphones. There was also no apparent signal at the Denon (Signal Unlock shown) but in fairness did not unplug the Optical lead at that point.
Am now thinking of buying this although am somewhat confused about comments. Obviously I want one Input going to 2 outputs and I find the description a bit ambiguou.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 4, 2019, 10:00:04 AM3/4/19
to Brennan Forum
HI Nick,
I read the description of the Neoteck splitter at the link you provided.  It has one input with up to three outputs.  I think the people who are looking for multiple inputs to one output are either looking at something else, or should be.  The fact that the Neoteck requires external power indicates that it is not a passive device - that's good.  So from what I see, I think it would be worth a try.  <fingers crossed>

Nick Hickson

Mar 4, 2019, 6:42:58 PM3/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Well I've ordered it so will keep you updated.
Cheers.

PMB

Mar 5, 2019, 4:05:42 AM3/5/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nick,

The splitter shown in the link looks like it will do the job i.e. 1 in and 3 out.

BTW have you tried connecting your optical cable directly between the B2 and the Denon or the Blitzwolf - without the splitter?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nick Hickson

Mar 5, 2019, 6:47:32 AM3/5/19
to Brennan Forum
Yes Paul both are used independently of each other, obviously, and both work as expected. The trouble is that I'd rather not keep on unplugging/plugging in different cables so as to listen to my Denon HiFi and speakers or elsewhere in the house using Bluetooth headphones.
I'm hoping this new Splitter(described as such and NOT Switcher), with its own power supply, works.

Nick Hickson

Mar 6, 2019, 9:41:12 AM3/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi. The Neoteck 1 into 3 outlets arrived today and I did a quick lash up putting the Brennan's SPDIF output into the 'IN' of the Neoteck and then used Optical leads and one adapter to feed the Blitzwolf BT transmitter and the main lead to my Denon HiFi system. I plugged in the 5v power supply and it all works.
Now the next problem to solve and which I didn't expect is that the power input at the moment, is a 5.5mm barrel jack one hard wired to a mains adapter and is clumsy and I want the Neoteck to power up automatically when the Brennan is turned on ie via the USB "C" outlet.
To this end, I've now ordered the appropriate USB lead with a barrel jack plug at the other end and keeping my fingers crossed that I've got the plug dimensions right.
And so it goes on.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 6, 2019, 9:47:39 AM3/6/19
to Brennan Forum
 Glad it's working out for you.  And I suspect that you're having some fun at the same time.  I know I get a kick out of assembling things and seeing them work.

Nick Hickson

Mar 6, 2019, 9:57:31 AM3/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Yes, I'll be glad to have it up and going and propose to hide the Neoteck below a shelf so it cannot be seen. My only concern is that its power supply adapter is rated at 5v/1A whereas the USB 2 is 500mA at 5V. Anyway I'll take that risk and assume the Neoteck will only take what it wants and should operate OK.

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 10:20:22 AM3/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel, while you're mentioning fiddling with things, I ordered the HDD enclosure you suggested from Amazon. First one got lost in the post and got a refund. Ordered a second, same make, slightly different model though. Arrived quickly and I was eager to try the HDs I had removed from two old laptops. Got one 500GB one to work fine, the other which came out of a laptop coffee got spilt on was dead. Still a 500GB backup drive in a £7 enclosure, not bad. Cheers for the info. Initially the drive only registered 100MB. Had to google how to remove the 100MB  "reserved partition" I think it was called. All good after that.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 6, 2019, 5:32:46 PM3/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Glad to hear it.  Not about the coffee, the other thing.  ;-)

PMB

Mar 7, 2019, 4:26:00 AM3/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nick,

I could be wrong but I can't see the splitter taking anything like 1A. The USB ports on the B2 have resettable fuses for protection so the worse that can happen is power to the splitter will be cut if it's drawing too much current.

Hope all goes well.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nick Hickson

Mar 7, 2019, 4:45:16 AM3/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul.
I was going on the Mains adapter that the Splitter was provided with i.e. 5v/1 Amp although there iin their speicifications  about "maximum working current" being 100mA.
Nick

PMB

Mar 7, 2019, 4:59:10 AM3/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nick,

That sounds more like it so should be fine running off the USB port.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nick Hickson

Mar 7, 2019, 5:45:32 AM3/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks.

Nick Hickson

Mar 8, 2019, 2:10:23 PM3/8/19
to Brennan Forum
Well today the necessary lead came enabling me to connect the B2 to my Neoteck 1 to 3 Splitter. This cheap priced lead has a USB plug at one end a 5.5mm barrel jack plug at the other.
The Splitter now powers up when the B2 is turned on and hopefully doesn't overload the USB outlet.
Anway I now have two outlets on the Splitter, one going to my Denon HiFi and the other to the Blitzwolf Br4 Bluetooth transmitter.
So far a success all round.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 8, 2019, 3:37:53 PM3/8/19
to Brennan Forum
 Nicely done.  I suspect there will be others who will benefit from your experience.

Mike W

Mar 9, 2019, 4:57:28 AM3/9/19
to Brennan Forum

Nick, I've been thinking about investing in one of the Blitzwolf transmitters, I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with:

Does the BR4 stay on all of the time when using an external power supply or does it power down after no throughput?

Do paired devices automatically connect or do you have to pair each time you switch them on?

Many thanks
Mike

Nick Hickson

Mar 9, 2019, 5:38:26 AM3/9/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike W.

I believe the blurb says that in Receive mode i.e Rx it does power down after a set time but NOT in Transmission Tx mode and that's the mode I use as I wan't to listen via BT headphones.

I don't use mine permanently powered but instead using its internal battery.

As regards pairing, when I had it I initially connected it to the Brennan using the Analogue jack lead supplied and after switching on my headphones and then the Blitzwolf it seemed to pair within a few seconds.

I now have it connected via the Optical cable and the pairing each time is a bit iffy but I turn on my headphones and the blue light on the phones flash and then I turn on the BR4 and after a few seconds it flashes rapidly and may pair and perhaps another push of its silver button does make the connection. If that does not work then i turn off the phones and then back on but this time in its pairing mode and hey presto!

I should say that currently I am awaiting a replacement free of charge BR4 from Blitzwolf as I have been experiencing a lot of audio dropouts which of course may not have anything to do with the BR4 but they have been gracious enough in offering another one to try. There are so many other things in my house that could interfere as they operate on the same 2.4Ghz waveband.
I've even contemplated buying a very cheap Bluetooth speaker to see whether there are dropouts when listening via that as after all it could be my 'cheap' Mixcyder E7 headphones that are at fault.

Mike W

Mar 9, 2019, 7:05:34 AM3/9/19
to Brennan Forum

That's great information, thanks Nick