Discrepancy in number of files

John Alexander

Apr 14, 2021, 6:16:12 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
I loaded my new B2 with my MP3 collection, but the B2 says there are 7509 MP3 files whereas the source total is 7523 MP3 files. Is there any way I can find out what has happened to the 14 "missing" tracks?

Thank you.

John

Peter Lowham

Apr 14, 2021, 7:19:40 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

What was the source of you mp3 files?  What process did you use to transfer the files from the source to the B2?  And was the source total 7523 mp3 files or was it 7523 files?

But 14 missing tracks sounds possibly like one album missing, so the search might not be that difficult.

Also, which software version is your B2 running on?

Looking for missing files can be tricky.  When I transferred my collection to my first B2 from a variety of different sources, in a collection at the time of about 18,000 tracks I was missing nearly 2,000 tracks.  But I did locate them all eventually.  But it involved manual searches, as well as Windows command line 'dir /Os > B2_music.txt' type commands and comparing that list to the 'b2db to USB C' listing (in the 'Maintenance' menu).  It did take some time.

I loaded the'b2db' file into 'Notepad++' on a PC.  The first thing I searhed for was '0 tracks'. This highlighted many of the issues in items 1 and 2 below.

The biggest problem was bad folder formats, such as:

1.  Some 'Artist' level folders had music tracks in them instead of an 'Album' folder which must be there to contain the music tracks (i.e. a single level folder).
2.  Some 'Album' level folders had a further sub-folder instead of the music tracks (i.e. a three level folder set).
3.  A few '.AIFF' tracks that the B2 won't recognise.

The B2 needs to have a two level folder structure, otherwise it won't find the music tracks.

Regards,
Peter.

John Alexander

Apr 14, 2021, 7:31:02 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter
I have since run scandisk on the B2 and I now have 7511 files:

Software Version B2B Mar 22 2021 09:07:23

7511 tracks in 797 albums 350 artists

0 WAV 0 FLAC 7511 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 240.00G Used 37.58Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

As for the source of my MP3 files they are a collection I have amassed over the years. I use MP3TAG to manage them, I then copied them all to a USB disk and loaded them into the B2.

I have attached a CSV file as exported from MP3TAG just in case you can spot an anomalies that might the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help.

John

MP3LIST.xlsx

Peter Lowham

Apr 14, 2021, 8:10:51 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

The only slightly suspicious thing that I can see in this listing is Dave Edmunds' album '...Again' .  I'm not sure if the B2 can deal with the '...' in the album title and it does contain 12 tracks.

Have a look at that one on your B2 and let me know.

Regards,
Peter.

Brian R

Apr 14, 2021, 9:02:05 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John

I didn't look all the way through (Life's too short) But there appears to be something strange with Buddy Holly. Are there a number of duplicate tracks?

Brian

Peter Lowham

Apr 14, 2021, 9:43:52 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian,

I noticed that one too, but on a closer look it is four albums combined into one.  But that should be OK because each of the same numbered tracks has a different title name, so there are no duplicates (that I can see anyway).

Regards,
Peter.

John Alexander

Apr 14, 2021, 10:44:36 AM4/14/21
to Brennan Forum

Guys

Thanks for your help. It is the Dave Edmunds "...Again" album that is missing from the B2. I will just rename it to "Again", load it and then check again for any discrepancies.

Now, all I need is a solution to my playlist problem....

Regards

John