Mp3 files

David Keith

Nov 16, 2021, 9:51:18 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, I'm very new to the Brennan B2. Can you tell me if i i save a CD in mp3 format and copy the files to a flash drive, will a car media player be able to play them? The reason for the question is that i am buying a new car without a CD player just USB ports
Thanks
David

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 10:16:40 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David

The B2 Rips the CD as WAV files. Then if you have the default compression setting, when it is on and idle, it will compress these to a LOSSLES format called FLAC.
If you so desire you can change this default setting to MP3 - BUT note that most MP3 formats involve a LOSS of some of the music information that was on the CD.

Note the B2 will only convert WAV files to a new compressed standard (FLAC, MP3) it will not act on any files that are already MP3 or FLAC.

Most people with B2s do not want to lose the quality of the music so choose to stay with FLAC compression.

There is however one extra feature, If you have chosen FLAC compression, you can subsequently set the compression to be "FLAC+MP3" and the B2 will make a HIDDEN (from the B2 interface) MP3 copy of your music collection.
There is a tool/command to export this HIDDEN copy to a USB device (so that it can be played in MP3 players such as you car.

Note that this FLAC+MP3 compression is VERY VERY slow!.

Most people wanting to have an MP3 copy of their music collection get this by switching on the NAS capability of the B2 and accessing the B2's music files from their PC system.
They can then use 3rd party utilities to generate the MP3s on their PCs. There are instructions on how to do this in this Forum.

Hope this helps

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Nov 16, 2021, 8:45:56 PM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,
Whether your car can play MP3 (or FLAC) files from a USB stick is entirely dependent on the car.  My car won't play FLAC files, but it will play MP3s.  On the new cars that don't have a CD player, but do have a USB port, I'd expect them to play MP3 files.

PMB

Nov 17, 2021, 3:38:14 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Might be worth asking the dealer if the car system plays FLAC - I think mine does. That would keep things simpler i.e. save everything as FLAC.

Paul
Brennan Support.

davidw...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2021, 6:41:14 AM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, ran the flac+mp3 command (it did take ages, but I was going away for a week so ran it then). Can't find where in the commands to copy mp3 to thumb drive. Tried in USB menu, but can't find it, if you could let me know where it is it would be much appreciated, regards

Daniel Taylor

Nov 21, 2021, 6:47:09 AM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Strangely enough, the command is found on the Playlist menu.  It is Export MP3s.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2021, 7:25:21 AM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Also if the USB Stick is not already FAT32 format, you will need to format it to this first (doing this will delete all current content!!!!) using the B2 to do this.

Fred