USB Ethernet

John Kenna

Oct 5, 2021, 9:36:44 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi
Does a USB Ethernet connection work?
Firesticks etc have a USB to Ethernet connectors and this has been suggested I use one to plug into back or B2 then into Router, giving a direct connection.
Anyone know about this? I do not want to do any damage to the B2.
Thank you.

JFBUK

Oct 5, 2021, 10:32:31 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Yes this is a recent enhancement.
You will need the latest software. The B2 release of Sept 20th brought this to the B2 software.

b2ether.JPG

I can't recall if anyone has posted recommending a particular model but I think most will work if the description says it is compatible with Linux.

John

Peter Lowham

Oct 5, 2021, 10:39:25 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

One thing to watch out for is that Firesticks use a USB-C connector, whereas the Brennan uses a USB-A connector.  So you need to look for a 'USB to Ethernet' and ensure that one end is a USB-A connector.

Regards,
Peter.

JFBUK

Oct 6, 2021, 4:44:11 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

I had a pm from Mahendra on this subject

Hi Mahendra,

I don’t think anyone has a particular recommendation but a search of Amazon will list several. Just be wary of the type of USB connector as per Peter’s sage advice.

John

Message from Mahendra

Good to know as I have my unit hooked up to a short flat ethernet cable. Any suggestions on a good USB to Ethernet? Thank you

PMB

Oct 6, 2021, 6:15:13 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

A bit confused as Mahendra mentions he has his unit connected to a short flat ethernet cable but is asking about USB-Ethernet adapter recommendations.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Oct 6, 2021, 6:20:46 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Johnke,

There is a driver you have to load to get the USB-Ethernet adapter working - use the front control to go to Settings >> Maintenance >> Advanced >> Get Ethernet.

Paul
Brennan Support.

JFBUK

Oct 6, 2021, 6:32:28 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

I think Mahendra is just expressing a preference  for using a USB Ethernet connection.
I suppose if you move the B2 you don’t have to open the back to disconnect or have a tail cable sticking out.

John(JFBUK)

John Kenna

Oct 6, 2021, 7:24:37 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks have ordered the following as it supports various codes/operating systems.
Will check settings and ensure software updated first......will report later.
Thanks all

John Kenna

Oct 6, 2021, 7:25:34 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Link--
ETHERNET      USB connector

PMB

Oct 7, 2021, 3:34:26 AM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Johnke,

Let us know how you get on with the adapter.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Kenna

Oct 7, 2021, 6:53:24 AM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,
Followed Paul advice (settings/Ethernet) plugged in the adaptor turned on machine---NO Problem, even finds stations quicker as now hard wired.
Conclusion---If able (router nearby) works great!!!
Thanks for all the help and advice.
John K.

PMB

Oct 8, 2021, 3:51:39 AM10/8/21