Feature request: OLED display fully off, only red led on option

Ian Hawkins

Aug 18, 2021, 4:23:03 AM8/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi!

I'd like a feature to be added so that the OLED display can be fully turned off when in idle/inactive mode (either as an extended option after X time, or instead of the current 'lets wiggle the time around on the screen' sleep option) and just the 'red' led left on

There are 2 reasons for this:

* OLED displays deteriorate quite quickly; this is from my own experience with several modules and from seeing other vendors (example: Yaesu ftdx5000) experience the same issue with always-on OLED displays. Having the option to completely deactivate the display whilst still providing a LED indication of power-on would significantly extend the service life of the display

* The display is 'attention-seeking' when I'm not using it and I'd rather not have that distraction active on my desk (this could also be neutered though with a slower pixel-by-pixel creep for the time instead of sudden large 20 pixel jumps)

Thanks

Ian

Peter Lowham

Aug 18, 2021, 5:16:54 AM8/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

That sounds like the option that is already present.  From the front panel go to:

'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Screensaver' and set this value to '16'.  The screen will auto blank after 5 minutes of no activity.  Note that you need to close the WebUI for this to happen; an open WebUI session counts as activity.

I use this feature for the reason that you have stated; to preserve the longevity of the screen display.

Regards,
Peter.

Ian Hawkins

Aug 18, 2021, 5:22:51 AM8/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Ah - thats what I wanted.

I'd not had a look through the maintenance menu (because 'I shouldn't need these') :-)

Thanks

Ian