External CD drive

Benjamin Knibbs

Feb 4, 2022, 2:09:59 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good external CD drive to use for ripping CDs to my Dell laptop (it has no CD drive) so I can add them to my Brennan B2 from there.  I have one but it isn’t good enough quality  - it messed up one CD – jumps, and tracks started in the middle.  I tried ripping the same CD in the Brennan’s CD drive and it ripped it with no problem.  I also have two classical CDs that refuse to rip in the Brennan or the external drive.  They play well and the titles are read perfectly, but they are ejected as soon as the rip tries to start.  One is EMI Classic and one Albion Records.  I’m hoping that I can rip them via a better external CD drive.

Thanks!

Ben

John Gann

Feb 4, 2022, 2:16:57 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum
I bought the one that they recommend - the LG GE24NU40 and I've ripped 200+ CDs and still going and it's been great. I'm ripping them all to a computer and will then move them over. Highly recommend the drive.

Benjamin Knibbs

Feb 4, 2022, 2:30:17 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Great - thanks very much John.  I'll look for one.  I've ripped 270-odd but have well over a thousand to go - haven't ever counted them but I've hardly started!

Dirk Sostman

Feb 4, 2022, 2:32:44 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum

Benjamin Knibbs

Feb 4, 2022, 2:47:04 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum
That's good to know Dirk, thanks very much for that, and for the link.

Thomas Mangano

Feb 4, 2022, 5:40:06 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum
I also purchased LG24NU40 drive from Amazon.  I have had no problems with the hardware.  I am connecting directly to B2.  The only issue I have had is when I encounter a CD title not found and I do not want to rip it at that time, to make sure to use the reject button on the B2 not the reject button on LG24NU40, or the B2 gets out of sync.

Benjamin Knibbs

Feb 4, 2022, 6:21:57 PM2/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Cheers Thomas.  Useful to know - probably the same applies to any external CD drive.