Internet Radio

John Kenna

Sep 14, 2021, 6:22:41 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Just bought 250gb B2 unit on Saturday and Internet radio not working, cuts out after a few minutes..
Tried next door house Internet, replaced dongle plus changed USB sockets--drops out after 5 mins max.
Ethernet cable lasted 8 mins.
Shame but looks like going back ---maybe should be factory tested first???
CD ripping great but we want both (music player & Radio) to de-clutter therefore I think we will have to return unit and comment accordingly on Amazon.

John Kenna

Sep 14, 2021, 7:16:06 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Just tried again and screen still shows "waiting for data 0.0% then unit turns off. Switch back on again and radio works fine for a short period (data goes to around 98%) about 5/8 minutes.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 7:31:29 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Before you return it  try a few more things.

When you play music from CD that you have already ripped, does this cut out too? If it does then yes, there is something wrong with the unit.

The other thing to remember regarding getting anything through the internet is that there is a possibility that the B2 is fine AND the connection to your house router/WiFi is fine BUT the connection from the router to the outside internet is poor (this could equally apply to your next door router).

It it is saying "waiting for data"  this is probably the problem.  The B2 cant play what it isn't getting!!

Try looking at your Router's statistics/performance if you can. (sometime Unplugging the Router waiting 30 seconds and plugging it bac into the mains - and waiting for it to reboot - helps).

From what you describe I really think that the B2 is not the problem. But Brennan do stand by their units and our experience is that is there is an issue they will sort it for you so give them and this forum a chance to help.

One other thing if you have not done so yet, using the front screen and round knob,  do a "main menu > settings >  Web Upgrade" to ensure you are on the very latest software version for the unit (7 th September).

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 7:50:08 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
When you say
" waiting for data 0.0% then unit turns off
Do you actually mean that the B2 turns its power off by itself and that you have to turn it on again to get it to work (if so the unit is indeed faulty).
Or
Do you mean that the radio stops  but the unit remains powered up?

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 8:34:36 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Got these replies to my private email
Hi, tried next door (fibre) the same, tried Internet radio both on a TV app and ipad --all OK.
Swopped dongle (RT5370 bought via amazon) still the same and tried ports.
Web upgrade done, unit restarted no problem.
anything Else?
Unit turns off by itself and just shows time with date underneath

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 8:47:05 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Thanks for the replies, but please, when replying, can you do so from within the forum thread you created with to your original question to the forum - this wat all the forum members can see the discussion and can "leap" in to help
- it also creates a history of your problem.

So just one final thing for you to try -  could you please change the "station" you are listening to on the internet radio and confirm that the  issue remain the same.

If it does and given that other devices in your house are able to play internet radio OK, it would seem that there may be a problem with your Brennan Unit,

The Moderator/Owner of this forum - a person called Paul (a Brennan employee), looks at it each morning and I am sure he will pick up on your post and will tell you what to do next.

While you could of cause return the unit to where you bought it from, we (Brennan customers) on this forum have found that Brennan do stand by their products and if it is faulty (and brand new) they will likely replace it for you.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 9:02:22 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Because the symptoms of your problem would normally cause one to suspect a poor quality internet connection to the B2 unit, could I just confirm that when you said this

"
ust bought 250gb B2 unit on Saturday and Internet radio not working, cuts out after a few minutes..
Tried next door house Internet, replaced dongle plus changed USB sockets--drops out after 5 mins max.
Ethernet cable lasted 8 mins.

"
This meant that you had actually connected the B2 to your house router via a wire ethernet cable into the back of the B2 (requires taking the back off to get at the connection socket as shown here from the Brennan web site)
a.jpg

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 9:07:06 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John

and I forgot to add to the last post -
That when you had the Ethernet connection you REMOVED the WiFi dongle form the USB port.

If you did not remove it, could you please try the Ethernet connection again but this time with the dongle removed (because with it there you do not know which connection is actually being used).

Fred

PMB

Sep 15, 2021, 4:07:17 AM9/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

When trying the internet radio did you use the pre-loaded presets or did you search for new stations? I ask because the presets may need updating.

Have you had a chance to try Ethernet without the WiFi dongle?

Paul
Brennan Support.