Spotify

Chris Ostlund

Mar 7, 2022, 7:39:45 PM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
I have been having trouble connecting to Spotify for a month or 2.  When I first began using it, it worked perfectly.  Now I usually have to fiddle with it for a while and then for some reason it connects, but almost seemingly for no reason whatsoever.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Chris

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2022, 8:51:26 PM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

If you are using a WiFi Connection to the B2 then this connection is being provided by your House Router and this Router is responsible for the quality of the connection, the B2 is passive.
The B2 is a SERVER and needs a good connection to the Router (and from there on to the internet for some functions) and if it is not being provided with a good connection then it will/can not perform properly.
Your Phone and PC may seem to work OK on your home LAN but they are just going to the Router and out to the WAN/internet, the B2 is a service on your LAN/intranet and this an extra requirement on your Router.
When people have problems with the B2 they blame the B2 because that is what they perceive they are using, however many problems are in the "plumbing" (the LAN/Router), but this is invisible to most users. Just like real household plumbing,
you are in a mess if it not functioning properly.

You issue is probable a "plumbing" problem, for instance, since you first began using Spotify have you added anything electrical to your house (that could be causing noise) or has a neighbour got a new Router that is interfering with yours?

What is the strength and quality of the WiFi signal that the B2 is seeing (there are menu functions to tell you this).

Fred

JFBUK

Mar 8, 2022, 5:09:45 AM3/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Chris,

how are you managing playback from Spotify ?

Using the Spotify app on a phone/tablet/computer or the browser webpages ?

When you try to switch to the B2 as the output device what do you see ?

The B2 is listed but greyed out or just not there ?

John

Chris Ostlund

Mar 9, 2022, 10:23:39 AM3/9/22
to Brennan Forum
As always, I am very appreciative of the great help on this site.

My IPhone and Mac Air would not connect to Spotify.  On a hunch,  I tried using my android tablet to play Spotify and it worked perfectly.  After this I plugged in the wi fi dongle which I previously removed in trying to find the problem.  (I am using ethernet connection).   Then after doing all of this, I am now able to use my Iphone and MacAir to connect Spotify along with the tablet.  Two days of perfect connectivity.

I am not certain this will continue, and I have no idea why it is working now, but I am happy it works so that is all I need.

Thanks again

Chris

JFBUK

Mar 9, 2022, 10:57:41 AM3/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

just did a quick google using the extra info you posted.

Its seems Spotify connect uses the IP Multicast protocol to advertise to devices on your network.

Some routers are pre-configured to filter multicasts using IGMP Snooping for valid reasons to protect the network.

Its possible your router is doing something similar for your wired port connections.

John