Backup Selected Tracks

Francis Klonowski

Jul 13, 2020, 1:18:58 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I am a relatively new user and couldn't find what I needed in all the help sections. I have just acquired a new car and for the first time have no CD player. I have previously done a full backup to an external drive, but for car use just wanted to select a few albums to export to a USB stick. I can't see where and how I select albums to export.
Also, does it have to be done through the unit itself or can I do it on the PC?
Thank you

PMB

Jul 13, 2020, 5:27:39 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Francis,

Something to consider - what format compression - FLAC or MP3 - have you used on the B2. If FLAC, does the car system play FLAC files?

You can use a Playlist to copy selected Albums or Tracks to and then use the 'Export Playlists' option in the Playlist menu, to send these to a USB memory stick.

Alternatively you can plug the backup drive into your computer and copy the Albums/Tracks you want to a memory stick. You can also do this using NAS mode to directly copy from the B2 - might be a bit slower, depending on the WiFi speed.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 13, 2020, 6:49:05 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Francis

As Paul says you need to set up a playlist and export that, however you can also set up NAS on the B2 and use simple drag and drop from your computer, finally there is the new compression setting available of FLAC+MP3, this enables the B2 to store FLAC files to play locally and also produce MP3 files to use in your car (warning this process is VERY slow 400 tracks converted in 24 hours providing you are doing nothing with the B2), these will need drag and drop as the playlist function will probably not include the mirrored MP3 files.

Peter Lowham

Jul 13, 2020, 7:05:24 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Edwyn,

Just an update on the new 'flac+mp3' option, which as you say produces a 'mirror' folder for each 'flac' folder automatically.

There is a new menu option in the B2 'Playlist Menu' called 'Export mp3s'.  If you create a playlist with the artists/ albums/ tracks that you want to play in your car, then use 'Export mp3s' option and it exports the 'mirror' files to USB, all nicely named and formatted by Artist/ Album/ Trackname.  All very quick and simple!

Regards,
Peter.

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 13, 2020, 7:42:55 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Thanks, I forgot that new function, the perfect solution for playing in the car, who needs FLAC files in a noisy environment?

Francis Klonowski

Jul 14, 2020, 12:44:11 AM7/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for all your helpful replies. I may have confused the issue by using the word "Backup" instead of "Export" but I guess your suggestions still apply. On the MP3 point, that new function sounds ideal and I look forward to trying it.