Knowledge base update

Thomas Mangano

Apr 6, 2022, 4:07:32 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
In February I reported that I was having a freeze problem with my relative new B2.

"What I mean by "freezing" is the B2 stops playing in mid track, the LED panel freezes, the UI drops, and the only recovery I have found is to turn the unit off via the back power switch."

The Brennan group recommended that I change the SD care in the case it was corrupt.  They sent me a program replacement and I swapped out the SD card about 30 days ago. After a month of operation the freeze problem still occurs, so I want to report my issue was not due to a corrupt SD Card.

I can update the information I have gathered in the last 30 days, for it is a very odd problem and I am ONLY reporting it to have my  problem documented for this user group knowledge base.  I am more than willing to live with this minor problem given all the benefits and pluses the B2(2T) provides to me!

I am software current, output is line out / SPDIF to DAC into my amplifier system for sound distribution.  The B2 input on a stable WiFi (-45 to -35)

The B2 only freezes AFTER it has been turned off (power off) for a period of time.
Upon powering up the B2 it will operate normally BUT will freeze typically within 30 minutes to 2 hours upon the initial power up, and that happens in either in a "playing mode" or in a "standby mode".  I want to repeat that:  It freezes either in a "playing mode" or in a "standby mode".  When I do a reboot after the B2 freeze the unit will play normally or stay in standby mode for days with out the unit freezing again!  As a final information input when it freezes in playing mode, it does not to appear to corrupt any data to my knowledge.

So my B2 has a startup gremlin, but the benefit of the B2 for me out weighs the nuisance, so I am a very happy B2 customer.   I want to keep the unit and will continue to use it, but likely will not turn power off as often and if I do, I know the routine.

I would be interested to hear anyone's thought on the cause.  I guess its a gremlin in the hardware be it the power supply or electronics, but you would think it would be the opposite if it was heat related.

Finally,  I want to thank Brennan company for the B2 and support group for all their help.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 4:14:01 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for this update.

How old is your B2?

I ask this because your B2 should not be "freezing" as you describe (mine does not do this) and if it is new  (less than 12 months old) then I would think that Brennan would want to fix it under guarantee, it is not something you should have to live with.

It sounds to me as though there is a hardware issue as we have addressed a possible software cause.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Apr 6, 2022, 4:26:44 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
I agree that you should not have to live with this problem.  And most likely, it is some sort of hardware problem.  If you deal with the hassle of getting it fixed now, you'll be much happier in the long run.

I have an odd thought.  I hope others will weigh in on this hair-brained (?) idea:  could this kind of behaviour possibly be caused by a bad optical cable?  I'd say No, but I do wonder.  Is an optical cable a one-way transmission device?  Or is there information coming back the other way too?

Thomas Mangano

Apr 6, 2022, 4:47:39 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
I purchased a refurb unit from the Brennan web site which I understand to have a new unit warranty.  It was received in January, unless it significantly shortens it’s expected life span by leaving it in standby mode, I prefer to keep the unit.  (I live in USA)

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 4:51:01 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Been thinking too

If you want to continue to fire fight this yourself then I would also suggest (as well as eliminating the optical possibility )on which I am not qualified to opine) :-
1) try an Ethernet connection (remove the WIFI Dongle) to eliminate WiFi as the issue.
2) could this be a dirty power supply issue - don't know how you would address this

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 4:55:50 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
OK, it is a refurb, but it should still work.
Having it mended or replaced is better than putting up with what you are experiencing!.
What you need to ensure is that you have a full and clean "Export to USB (A ot C)" backup of your music. With this you can restore your "state" to what you have now with a simple "import". It is not the Unit but what you have put on it that matters!

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Apr 6, 2022, 5:23:03 PM4/6/22
to Brennan Forum
I think Fred's thought of a dirty power supply (main wall power) is more likely than the bad cable idea.

Contact Brennan and see if they will send you a different unit and then you can send the bad one back.  That would save you from being without the unit while it is repaired.

PMB

Apr 7, 2022, 3:04:20 AM4/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi mangano...,

Try running the B2 without the WiFi and Bluetooth dongles fitted - power off before removing them, which will also mean you are in a 'start-up' condition for the test.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Philip Davies

Apr 7, 2022, 9:39:10 AM4/7/22
to Brennan Forum
I'd say thats a pi issue.  Ive seen very similar issues with a couple of the very large number of pi PCs I have had over the years. on the whole its a reliable platform to use for embedded computing, As others have said I'd be expecting it to be fixed by brennan as if it is a pi issue it will only get worse in the end.   I some times turn my B2 off sometimes leave it powered on for months on end. the B2 never locks up.

Thomas Mangano

Apr 7, 2022, 10:54:44 AM4/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi mangano...,

Try running the B2 without the WiFi and Bluetooth dongles fitted - power off before removing them, which will also mean you are in a 'start-up' condition for the test.

Paul
Brennan Support

The Bluetooth dongle had been removed in my running environment.  I will remove the wifi dongle for a few weeks and see if the problem remains or is related to the WIFI dongle chain.

Thomas Mangano

Apr 12, 2022, 11:57:17 AM4/12/22
to Brennan Forum
Paul….Thank you for the hint

I removed the WiFi dongle from the USB A slot and ran enough cycles to be comfortable the freeze problem was eliminated.  I found the freezing problem stopped with the wifi dongle removed.  To see if the wifi dongle itself was the cause, I moved the dongle to USB C.  Again no freezing when the wifi dongle was in the C slot.  I ran these tests for about a week, and I am comfortable saying I have isolated the problem to the USB A slot.  Not sure what or where but using the USB A slot does cause the freezing problem in my B2.

The only time I need both USB slots is when I rip cds because I do it with a faster LG external drive.  Would it be ok to connect the external drive to the USB A slot, when and I do my periodic ripping?  I have ripped 90% of my collection so my need for the A slot is very minimal and I also have the internal b2 reader anyway.

So can I run wifi from the C slot and use the A slot when and if I need the external drive (my configuration does not require a need for Bluetooth.) not sure how much of a problem the usb A slot issue will cause when ripping, but again it’s not needed 99.5% of the time.

Thanks
.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2022, 12:46:59 PM4/12/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi mangano...

Glad we have nailed down the problem!.
Both the USB slots on the B2 are interchangeable - you can plug anything in either slot.
However, due to the internal use of USB (inside the B2) the USB A port has slightly more power available to it than USB C.
It is possible that your problem was caused by the WiFi dongle not being properly seated in USB A before (it would be helpful to test this by trying to use USB A for WiFi again - otherwise there could still be an underlying issue with that port - and there should not be, even on a refurbished machine!)
Certainly trying to "maintain" a troublesome USB device will overwhelm whatever else the PI is trying to do and this would account for your issue.

Fred

Thomas Mangano

Apr 12, 2022, 1:23:00 PM4/12/22
to Brennan Forum
In my tests I was reseating the dongle as I removed it and moved it between the a and the c slot, so I do not think it’s a seating issue.  I thought I had picked up some where that the A slot was the higher powered slot, so you confirmed it.

One question ….Can I to use the USB C slot as a link to a powered usb hub? So I could  plug WiFi dongle with either  a  Bluetooth or external drive( self powered) in the powered USB hub off the C slot?  Does that degrade performance or cause other issues?   I am only looking for flexibility for the future in case I need it with the problematic A slot.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 12, 2022, 1:28:47 PM4/12/22
to Brennan Forum
One of the things we routinely recommend when WiFi performance is marginal, is to switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.  In your case, that seemed to do the trick.  I've always thought that the configuration of electronics inside the B2 box made the USB C position get a little better reception.  Anyway, I hope your problem was no more than that.

Plugging your external CD drive into USB A should work well for you.  The fact that USB A can provide somewhat more power to whatever is plugged in there, won't hurt either.  We often recommend that a USB backup drive be plugged in to USB A for just that reason.

It sounds like, and I hope that, you're good to go.  Please keep us posted about your B2's performance.

I just saw your question about a powered USB hub.  It should work well in either USB C or A.